Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if this is true....

Aluminum Hulled boats are more dangerous to be on in a storm?

Thanks,
Muskey

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
If this is a T or F question on some test you're taking, then that's cheating!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I assume you mean because of lightning? You shouldn't be out in any boat in lightning, but marine aluminum is not a particularly conductive material and you would have more to worry about with height that the fact your boat is metal.

Lakeland Boating had an article that a boat while running across the water builds up a negative charge, I think it is, due to the friction with the water, and that this charge will actually make the boat more likely to be struck.

If a thunderstorm threatens and lightning appears to be a part of it, I get off the open lake and back to the marina where trees are higher than my bridge!

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
What about a sail boat

I have been told to attach a set of jumper cables to the aft stay and drag them behide your boat to ground it

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Hey, that might work good. Can't try it though. Don't have a blow boat

Is it true?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(boatmonkey @ Jul 16 2004, 07:59 AM)Muskey, I just saw a picture of your Marinette on the member boats section - congratulations on buying a terrific boat. You'll never have a more solid and reliable vessel.

Check out the Delphi forum specifically for Marinette owners. The guys on this site offer great info:

http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index....e%26nav%3Dstart
Thanks for the info Boatmonkey!
That's pretty much what i was looking for!

I love the boat, BTW...my friend steered me toward the Marinette when we went to look for the boat...i'm really glad i did! considering gas prices these days!

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE(Taxman @ Jul 16 2004, 10:16 AM)What about a sail boat

I have been told to attach a set of jumper cables to the aft stay and drag them behide your boat to ground it

I grew up next to a marine and have seen a few mast
get hit by lighting. I do not think the cable thing works
well.My.02

·
Registered
696 Posts
The jumper cables wouldn't prevent lightning from hitting the mast, it's still the tallest thing in the area. What they do is give the electricity a clear path to dissipate. Without that odds are better that you will do damage to your electronics and possibly other areas of the boat.

A properly grounded mast will have a grounding cable attached to the keel bolt(s).

I have heard from long distance racers that the battery cable trick does indeed work though!

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Welcome Musky,

I like yer Boat. I too am the proud owner of a tin can. Marinette made solid, roomy, dependable boats. Its hard to argue that there was a better boat built in the 70's and 80's. According to everything that I have read, (as boat Monkey Indicated) the Marinette is actually grounded better than a plastic boat. But I wouldn't want to test that theory.

I am slipped in Michigan Harbor just swing on by look for Xspence, we'll have a pop and trade stories. These boats are easy to work on and really fun to play on.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Yo Eleven! @ Jul 20 2004, 09:11 AM)Welcome Musky,

I like yer Boat. I too am the proud owner of a tin can. Marinette made solid, roomy, dependable boats. Its hard to argue that there was a better boat built in the 70's and 80's. According to everything that I have read, (as boat Monkey Indicated) the Marinette is actually grounded better than a plastic boat. But I wouldn't want to test that theory.

I am slipped in Michigan Harbor just swing on by look for Xspence, we'll have a pop and trade stories. These boats are easy to work on and really fun to play on.

Enjoy...
Sounds like a plan...

yo11, we'll be out at the Moot this Sat.
Joining the festivities?
I'll keep one cold just in case!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts