Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fin Organism Fish Marine biology Ray-finned fish
buddy and went out yesterday fished from 7:30 quit around 1:00..bait ran out
kept 65 yellow's from 7 to 13 inches..released about 35 or 40...also caught at least
10 smallmouth 2 over 4lbs..one was 24" long..and a 12 lb sheephead...released all
bass...i lost 2 perch yesterday i thought were smallmouth they were ripping line out
i should of netted the rascal..at least 15 or 16 inches long..i couldnt believe how
big that perch and wide also..i had a good look because i lifted him right out the water
and he flipped off...anyway..this is the best i can do as far as tips...i'm taking all
my fish in 20 ft of water...find 20 ft...find good cabbage...and you will find yellow gold
i mean yellowbellys...also use the biggest emeralds you can buy..hope that helps alittle

pic below are just a sample of yesterdays catch

Attachments

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(scotts fishing @ Jul 24 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>man those are nice i'm hoping to get out sunday but i only have the canoe so going to have leave the 20 ft water alone. but i will be switching from worms to shiners and giving that a try

It's a must bro. If you are still fishing, using minnows will outfish worms almost every time, and like recent events, bigger the minnows = bigger perch when you get on a big concentration of them. For every 10 dinks there is probably one decent sized Perch out there. However, lol, i've witnessed a few times when only using minnows and switching to worms produced jumbo's out of nowhere. But that is on a rare occassions. Worms are more suited to fish for perch when used in motion. Like harnessess and spinner-rigs. I think minnows attrack the attention of more fish in an area, increasing your odds. Any perch will hit a worm, but ....I think you know what I'm sayin'
Good luck on Sunday!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
nice report....i to was out in the same area today same results we kept around 50 or 55 with a few 13 inchers thrown in
i also got a nice 20"smallmouth got him on about a half inch of worm perch fishing we got ours on about 50/ 50worms emeralds... what a nice day...

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote name='liv4lkstclair' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:42 PM' post='897437']
View attachment 64399 buddy and went out yesterday fished from 7:30 quit around 1:00..bait ran out
kept 65 yellow's from 7 to 13 inches..released about 35 or 40...also caught at least
10 smallmouth 2 over 4lbs..one was 24" long..and a 12 lb sheephead...released all
bass...i lost 2 perch yesterday i thought were smallmouth they were ripping line out
i should of netted the rascal..at least 15 or 16 inches long..i couldnt believe how
big that perch and wide also..i had a good look because i lifted him right out the water
and he flipped off...anyway..this is the best i can do as far as tips...i'm taking all
my fish in 20 ft of water...find 20 ft...find good cabbage...and you will find yellow gold
i mean yellowbellys...also use the biggest emeralds you can buy..hope that helps alittle

pic below are just a sample of yesterdays catch

WOW! thats awsome man! Hey I gotta quick question, what is an emerald? I am pretty new to fishing the big water, i would love to find some big perch like that.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Nice report. And I too have noticed that the fish seem to like minnows a lot more than the worms.

·
Registered
88 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 25 2009, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its the standard minnow that most baitshops seem to have around here.

thank you, i've done alot of fishing on the local lakes around here. a friend turned me on to st clair and this web site a few weeks back. Tryin to learn as much as i can before i head out for myself. any tips i can get would be great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.