Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this on the east end of the lake a few days ago. Can anyone varify for sure whether this is a tiger muskie or not? Elias.

Attachments

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
it looks sweet

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks like one to me. Starting to see alot more of those lately

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for letting me know, I thought at first that it was just a barred musky but now I can say I've caught a hybrid and throw'r in my photo album.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
3 words: BEAUTIFUL, F'N BEAUTIFUL. Great job man. Do tigers grow as big as regular muskies? Couldn't imagine a 50" tiger, that would be an awesome looking fish.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yep thats a tiger.
Tigers grow faster and bigger than pike or muskie.
only about 10-20% are fertile according to the DNR and state biologists.

Thats one nice fish
BB

·
Registered
958 Posts
According to a book that I just finished tigers do get upwards of the 50" mark.
In more southern states like KY they actually stock them in certain lakes because they grow quicker.

·
Registered
333 Posts
QUOTE(BillBuster @ Jul 15 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yep thats a tiger.
Tigers grow faster and bigger than pike or muskie.
only about 10-20% are fertile according to the DNR and state biologists.

Thats one nice fish
BB

Actually, tigers do not grow bigger than northern or great lake strain. Currently, the tiger muskie world record is 27 pounds, 5 ounces, measuring 45.5 inches in length and 22.5 inches in girth. Dale McNair's fish was 57" x 33" girth. Also, no tigers are fertile. They cannot reproduce. They are kind of like a mule. A natural tiger doesn't happen too often. Nice fish!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I got into an arguement with someone on here about this before. I did find a couple of reliable sources that said that there are a small percentage that reproduce, but i also found reliable sources that say none of them can. Never really have found a definative answer, but i still find it hard to believe that they can, but thats just speaking from general genetics.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Beautiful fish! ><{{{{{{{{{{{*>

I've read that they grow faster than either pike or muskies, but not as big as muskies.

I seem to recall hearing of bigger tigers than 45.5 inches, 27 lb 5 oz. That's a good bit smaller than many pike that are caught every year.

·
Vendor
539 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 15 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I got into an arguement with someone on here about this before. I did find a couple of reliable sources that said that there are a small percentage that reproduce, but i also found reliable sources that say none of them can. Never really have found a definative answer, but i still find it hard to believe that they can, but thats just speaking from general genetics.

Ive heard same two arguemnts as you have over and over from credible sources. A few years back when my dad caught his big tiger on St Clair everyone was crying BS until the DNR verified it. Ive had Biologists from out of state also tell me that its impossible for a great lakes musky to breed with a northern pike outside of a lab in fish hatchery and not in the wild. As soon as I started coming up with lake st clair tiger musky photos he got all mad and moved onto another booth. Ive heard that a VERY small percentage are not sterile and can breed. HOWEVER has anyone ever seen a photo of a verified 1/4 pike or 1/4 musky? I sure have not anywhere whether it be Minnesota, Michigan , or Ontario?????? If the hybrid breeding was possible a fish would os showed up somehwere in the last 50 years.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I say they're sterile like a donkey or a grass carp. The state of WA (alot of states actually) use them in fisheries management for population control because they can put in a stated number and not worry about them exploding.

That said, nature always finds a way. But I'd still say 99.999999999999% are sterile.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Actually, tigers do not grow bigger than northern or great lake strain. Currently, the tiger muskie world record is 27 pounds, 5 ounces, measuring 45.5 inches in length and 22.5 inches in girth. Dale McNair's fish was 57" x 33" girth. Also, no tigers are fertile. They cannot reproduce. They are kind of like a mule. A natural tiger doesn't happen too often. Nice fish!
[/quote]
They get much larger than that. There was a 51# plus fish taken from Lac Vieaux Desert along the Wi./Mi. border a long time ago. Even in musky poor Utah, the record is 33#9oz,out of Pineview,which is a beautiful place to fish, in the high desert! Lots of different state records well over thirty.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
so if they are all sterile, did the dnr stock them in LSC? I have caught one and have seen a few on here. Not a lot, but I've seen them. What could be a logical reason they are here other then the dnr planting them? Just wondering?????

considering on this site we see a few a year, I have to believe they reproduce a little. Unless the dnr plants them.

this is one my bro caught a few yrs back. the amount of sensory holes under the jaw confirmed it for us.
Water Sky Cloud Boat Sleeve

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts