Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing 2 tip ups for some pike fishing. I was wondering which model type would be better. The frabil with the insilated lid or your standard wood tip up. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend. If you do a lot of tip-up fishing than I would go with the insulated lids, but if not, the wooden ones works just fine. Thats especially true when fishing early in the season since its usually not too cold. But once you get into late January and February, id be willing to bet you wish you had the insulated ones!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have bought a lot of the old wood and plastic 'T' style tip-ups over the years and switched to the round thermal ones two years ago and have not been happier. The old style would freeze in the hole and I would break one after another trying to get them unstuck.

I highly recommend the thermal tip-ups

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I prefer the HT Polar Tip-Up & the HT Polar Therm Tip-Up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I really like the windlass tipups. Yes the do freeze up if left for to long but the big advantage is they actually jig your bait for you using the wind. You can also see smaller strikes from perch and smaller fish because it has a spring action. It takes a little bit to get used to them but they are all I use anymore as far as tipups go. There are no parts of the tipup that go into the water with these only the line.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My primary plan is to set out 2 tip ups and try for pike and jig with a 3rd rod for perch. My biggest concern was the hole freezing over while using tip ups. I think I'm going to go with the thermals since it recieved some positive feedback.

·
Registered
962 Posts
QUOTE(ice fishing newb @ Dec 21 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My primary plan is to set out 2 tip ups and try for pike and jig with a 3rd rod for perch. My biggest concern was the hole freezing over while using tip ups. I think I'm going to go with the thermals since it recieved some positive feedback.

I would have to agree with that. I have thought about getting some of the polar tipups to try out but im addicted to the jigging of the windlass tipup. now if they could come up with a mix of the 2 that would be something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts