Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well I was up north over the weekend so I figured why not drive by tippy and see what was going on. Well lots of people fishing but the fish were really nasty. I saw one steelhead caught but besides that lots of black salmon. If anybody was thinking about goin up I wouldnt bother Unless you dont mind nasty black salmon, then you may enjoy it. I was shocked how many people kept those things.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes thats exactly the way it is lol. thats why I didnt take a pole I was just out driving looking at the colors and stopped in. it wasnt as packed as I have seen it though there were actually some open spots

·
Registered
177 Posts
my co-worker just got back on sunday he was up their from wed-sun 10 guys they ended up with 40 fish they are dark in color but the meat is still good the white ones are the ones you dont want to keep they are on their last few days of life.And if you go down the river more you dont have to fish elbow to elbow he said the fish would come in schools ever hour or so . good luck

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey barnz nope no snagging. dnr was there when I was so im sure all of the snagging hooks got put away lol As far as the black ones being the good ones I dont know who told you that but its untrue. when salmon die they turn black and get nasty and soft. the whole place smelled of dead fish it was pretty nasty.

·
Registered
583 Posts
QUOTE(waterfordmatt @ Oct 20 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey barnz nope no snagging. dnr was there when I was so im sure all of the snagging hooks got put away lol As far as the black ones being the good ones I dont know who told you that but its untrue. when salmon die they turn black and get nasty and soft. the whole place smelled of dead fish it was pretty nasty.

Man, they still eat when they're turning like that? I would NOT be eating any fish that was in the process of dying, especially when they are black...uggghh!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Matt - I was up in Manistee too, checking up on my blinds. We could have meet for breakfast had I known.

I disagree with you about eating the dark salmon. While they are not prime, they are still eatible. A lot of people can the salmon when they darken up because like you said the meat is not as firm. I don't fish at tippy anymore, I prefer to fish farther up stream, because the fish tend to be better.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(line wetter @ Oct 20 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Matt - I was up in Manistee too, checking up on my blinds. We could have meet for breakfast had I known.

I disagree with you about eating the dark salmon. While they are not prime, they are still eatible. A lot of people can the salmon when they darken up because like you said the meat is not as firm. I don't fish at tippy anymore, I prefer to fish farther up stream, because the fish tend to be better.

nice to know as I have never canned fish. I have tried the darker salmon on the grill before and it wasnt very good. what killed me is they drag the fish up all those cement stairs by the time they get to the parking lot they look like they were on a belt sander.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts