Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back into instinctive shooting and would like to take my bowhunting serious this year (past years have only been upland and waterfowl). Hunted some private lands back in college and what a difference having the deer behaving naturally compared to what you find on state land. going to start scouting my usual spots but if anyone has some good tips or some leads on some private land to hunt it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
If you have a doe license, offer them the first deer you get (and have it processed for them). Most will turn it down, but either way, they will realise that you are just not into it for them. Not to mention they love to have does taken off their property. Not only do they eat some of the crops, they also produce more deer that eat from the crops.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(fantastixvoyage @ Aug 18 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ya I'm in it for the hunt so more than willing to giveaway any and all meat if that's what it takes.

A doe with a recurve is a trophy deer in my book so doe hunts are more than fine with me!!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I too hunt with traditional equipment, and even got a goose with a longbow and wood arrow that I made. (I made the bow and arrow), so yes I understand the trophy part of your statement. I used to lease a 250 acre farm just north of Rochester, and the 5 of us took 76 does off of it in 30 days. I only allowed archery hunting untill the last year we had it. That was when you could buy a license a day for does. The farmer loved us, and everyday we saw him, he wanted a head count. He never wanted any meat, but we also gave him $2500 every year to ensure we could have it the next year. We never caused any problems with his land, and always left it in better condition than we got it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Aug 18 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fantastixvoyage @ Aug 18 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ya I'm in it for the hunt so more than willing to giveaway any and all meat if that's what it takes.

A doe with a recurve is a trophy deer in my book so doe hunts are more than fine with me!!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I too hunt with traditional equipment, and even got a goose with a longbow and wood arrow that I made. (I made the bow and arrow), so yes I understand the trophy part of your statement. I used to lease a 250 acre farm just north of Rochester, and the 5 of us took 76 does off of it in 30 days. I only allowed archery hunting untill the last year we had it. That was when you could buy a license a day for does. The farmer loved us, and everyday we saw him, he wanted a head count. He never wanted any meat, but we also gave him $2500 every year to ensure we could have it the next year. We never caused any problems with his land, and always left it in better condition than we got it.

Great story except for the "past tense"....assume it was sold for condos or some b.s.?
Seems like everyone is loosing their spots anywhere close.

So you must be the one holding the flu-flus in the goose pic in the trophy thread. That's cool ya got one. Field tips or broadheads? Do you shoot at any of the clubs? I was a member of Detroit Archers a long time ago and looking to rejoin or another club to get back into it. I have only been shooting in the basement at about 12yds since switching back from compound to recurve and need prepare more for the season.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(fantastixvoyage @ Aug 18 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Aug 18 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fantastixvoyage @ Aug 18 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ya I'm in it for the hunt so more than willing to giveaway any and all meat if that's what it takes.

Great story except for the "past tense"....assume it was sold for condos or some b.s.?
Seems like everyone is loosing their spots anywhere close.

So you must be the one holding the flu-flus in the goose pic in the trophy thread. That's cool ya got one. Field tips or broadheads? Do you shoot at any of the clubs? I was a member of Detroit Archers a long time ago and looking to rejoin or another club to get back into it. I have only been shooting in the basement at about 12yds since switching back from compound to recurve and need prepare more for the season.

yep, that was me during that hunt. I used Ace Hex head blunt tips. I used to shoot at the Oakland County Sportsmen's Club, but got tired of all the guys who loved to tell everyone else how to shoot, eventhough, there skills needed alot of refining themselves. So to keep from causing any flare ups, I decided to move on from there, and just enjoy shooting where ever I could. Although, I haven't had time to shoot my bow since we went pheasant hunting last winter, so I do believe this year, I'm just gonna sling copious amounts of steel in their direction.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
best to do it early in the year. Ask around introduce yourself and why you want to hunt. Generally they will allow you to hunt. if they dont like venison offer them something else like fish or other game. Sometimes they will take some other times they just want the deer gone!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Aug 20 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here are a few places to try to look for leases.

http://www.basecampleasing.com/hunting-leases-michigan.htm

Also, the DNR used to post land available by farmers that were open to hunting and the instructions for contacting them. I am going to see if I can find it. The list has been canabalized lately with 80% of hunters on state land that accounts for about 20% of all hunting land both private and public in the state.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/0607HAP_174892_7.pdf

The farmer list on the DNR list has become useless, They don't update it.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Aug 22 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Aug 20 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here are a few places to try to look for leases.

http://www.basecampleasing.com/hunting-leases-michigan.htm

Also, the DNR used to post land available by farmers that were open to hunting and the instructions for contacting them. I am going to see if I can find it. The list has been canabalized lately with 80% of hunters on state land that accounts for about 20% of all hunting land both private and public in the state.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/0607HAP_174892_7.pdf

The farmer list on the DNR list has become useless, They don't update it.

Not to mention that te number on the list has dropped drastically over the years!!! people are not allowing people to hunt. Dont now if its becasue people are leasing or the farmers are fed up with the idiots or its not worth the money they get from the state.

·
3,236 Posts
It is like doing sales. The more leads you generate the more sales you will make so start knocking and don't get discouraged when the first 20 say no. If you knock on enough doors you will get permission from someone. Also mention that you are bow hunting, more people are comfortable with someone they do not know with a bow on their property versus a gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.