Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 chevy silverado 2500HD crew cab and I need to replace the Firestone's on it now, the tires are basically falling apart at 36,000 miles. I want to put bigger tires on there without doing any kind of lift and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or has done something similar on the same truck. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
I've got a 2002 AVALANCHE 2500. I put on larger tires, but I also have aftermarket rims. Most tires dealers can tell you what would be best for your vehicle.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
FourWinns, I hope you are not putting Firestone's back on. Those are by far the worst tires I have ever had. I replaced mine around the same mileage, mainly because one of the tires got a nail in the corner and couldn't be patched. I replaced them with BFG All Terrain 265's on the stock wheels on my '02 2500HD Duramax. I know a few people that put 285's and they turned the torsion bars up a little. I guess with the diesels, the check engine light comes on and messes with the computer if you run 285's or bigger. I didn't want to mess around and take a chance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way am I putting Firestones back on. The dealer is willing to replace them under warranty, but all they can replace them with is the exact same thing. They won't let me upgrade or anything. Why the hell would I want that? I can't beleive Firejoke is still even in business. I searched on the internet and all these tires are falling apart. I figure the tire dealers will make a recommendation, I would just like a little knowledge going in.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
just don't talk to hammer. he'll have you needing a step ladder to get in your truck.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
FourWinns, let the dealer replace them under warranty, then go to Discount Tire right after and they will do a trade for whatever tire/size you want. You might only have to spend an additional $100 bucks to upgrade. Well worth it if you ask me. I think I spent just under $800 for my tires with the road hazzard warranty. Just a thought.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Pandora @ Feb 21 2004, 03:07 AM)just don't talk to hammer. he'll have you needing a step ladder to get in your truck.
He does that so he can look up chicks skirts
He has motive for everything he does

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Pandora @ Feb 21 2004, 03:07 AM)just don't talk to hammer. he'll have you needing a step ladder to get in your truck.
just because you and threecrabs are short...

I have 315's on my silverado but its lifted. Great for climbing over snowbanks onto peoples front lawns.

265-75x16 is the size you want for stock. Keep in mind the load rating will be less with BFG than what came stock on your HD.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I had 285-75-16s on my 2001 2500 Reg Duty. I wouldn't want to go any bigger on the stock 7' wide rims. They rubbed but only slightly and only with the wheels turned fully. They rubed on the front lower air dam (dark gray plastic) and never did any damage. I was told that 1 to 2 turns on the torsion bars would correct this but I never bothered.

Like Hammer said 265-75-16s no problem.

Focker I have a buddy that has run 285s on 2 of his Duramax trucks with no problems. If you do have a problem the dealer will tell you that they can not diagnose it with that size tire. They will most likely also blame the problem on the tire size. <_<
You will also get the same story for your 265s. The dealer WILL tell you that the Allison trans can only be configured for the wimpy 245s.
When I wear out the stock ones on my Duramax I will go at least to the 265s.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Before swapping out the tires on that 2500HD, a couple of things should be considered. The tires that come on the truck are probably Load Range E, rated for 3042 lbs. @ 80 psi. cold. If you regularly carry heavy loads or tow a heavy trailer, you should try to stay with a Load Range E tire. You will find that E tires in sizes bigger than LT 245/75-16 are just about non-existant. I think that there was 1 manufacturer (I don't remember who) that offered an E tire in LT 265/75-16. There are a couple who offer LT 265/75-16 in Load Range D that are rated for 3000 lbs. @ 65 psi. cold. I believe Yokohama offers a Geolander series tire in this range that is an outstanding tire at a good price. I personally would not go below that. I will go with the Yokos the next time I replace tires (Firestone Steeltex AT) on my 2500 Suburban.
The Tire Rack (on the web) has the best prices that I have found for most tires. I bought a set of Yokohamas from them for my car and have been very happy with them. Even with shipping, and mounting and balancing from a local shop, they were cheaper than I could get them locally. I have found that the Yokohama tires tend to be very true (roundness), they balance up well (less than 1 ounce per tire), and they are quiet.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, I am finally ready to buy and have a few more questions, let me know if you guys have any answers. I checked with Belle Tire and they said that I could go with 265/75-16 or 285/75-16 on my truck without rubbing, but I would have to get new rims. I have 245/75-16's now on a 6.5"(width) rim. Are they telling me the truth or just trying to sell me new rims? I have been to a few tire web sites and they have said I could go with either 265's or 285's without changing rims. I have seen many trucks like mine with the bigger tires on stock rims, so I am thinking he is just trying to sell me rims too. Any thoughts anybody? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
The 265 or 285s will fit your rims but, The 285 on a rim that narrow will bow the center of the tread out slightly, possibly causing a rub on the high area of the tread. A wider rim will allow the sidewalls to stay further apart and flatten the tread profile. If you change rims they need to make sure that rim offset (mounting surface to bead flanges) is correct or rubbing and or handling issues can occur.

I had 285/75 - 16 on stock rims on my 2001 2500 RD with minimal rubbing. See my post earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I have 305/75 - 16 on my F250 SD. They fit fineon the rims and the truck. A buddy of mine has 315's on his stock 2500 Dodge Ram, no problems fitting either as well.

I'm suprised that only a 285 will fit on a 2500HD.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the BF goodrich site and it does recommend a minimum of 7.5" wide rim for the 285's, my rims are only 6.5". I talked to the guy at Belle Tire, he said I could put the tires on, but he is not sure about wear for the reasons boater2be mentioned. He says for liability purposes he has to tell me what he did. He said I could go with the 285's and keep an eye on the wear and buy rims after the fact if necessary. I am leaning towards doing that.

Damn Yankee, do you know how wide your rims are?

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The rims a stock, and the truck came equiped with 265/75R-16's, so I'm assuming 6.5

To be truthful, I bought the truck used and would not have put such wide tires on. They look kewl, but being as wide as they are I know that the traction in winter will not be as good as the 265's. I've had wide tires on my previous truck, so I've learned from experience.

·
Registered
530 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Feb 21 2004, 09:23 AM)QUOTE(Pandora @ Feb 21 2004, 03:07 AM) just don't talk to hammer. he'll have you needing a step ladder to get in your truck.
He does that so he can look up chicks skirts
He has motive for everything he does

more like look down their shirts at stop lights

I only know 'cause Ive got 315's on my dodge 2500 w/out lifting it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts