Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Minneapolis- St. Paul this week and visited the Science Center that had this exhibition. It was extremely awesome. Very erie, especially the clothing that was captured from the ocean floor. Some of which has peoples names written within them. A must see for those who are fascinated with this wreck.

http://www.titanictix.com/

http://www.rmstitanic.net/

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I saw the last Titanic show that came to Detroit a few years ago... I don't think it's the same group. It was WELL WORTH seeing. I've always been interested in anything "Titanic" related.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I worked for a bit on conserving some of the items from the Titanic while I was in the Preservation program at EMU. Frankly, I didn't like it. People seem to have a hard time separating "I'm the King of the World" from what really happened. Someone actually tried to tell me how 'romantic' it was. I'm sorry, but I don't see what is romantic about 1500 people dying a horrible death.

Some of the artifacts they were pulling up were personal items of people who still had relatives living. I felt they should go back to the families. Obviously, no one was listening to me.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I was into the Titanic story long before "I'm King of the World" was ever uttered by Leonardo.... like maybe 45 years ago after reading a book on it. It's not just Titanic either... I've likely got over 75 books, hard and soft, on ships, shipwrecks, and specific shipping disasters (Titanic, Lusitania, Britannia, Eastland, etc etc). The search for the Titanic's resting place also predates Ballard's finding her by several decades.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(TheParamour @ Oct 29 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I worked for a bit on conserving some of the items from the Titanic while I was in the Preservation program at EMU. Frankly, I didn't like it. People seem to have a hard time separating "I'm the King of the World" from what really happened. Someone actually tried to tell me how 'romantic' it was. I'm sorry, but I don't see what is romantic about 1500 people dying a horrible death.
Some of the artifacts they were pulling up were personal items of people who still had relatives living. I felt they should go back to the families. Obviously, no one was listening to me.

I love the move but I totally agree with you. I totally separated the "romantic" part of the movie from what really happened. I'm more interested in the people who were actually on the ship. I've always been interested in the story of Titanic and thinking about the people who lost their lives just makes my heart ache.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(TheParamour @ Oct 29 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I worked for a bit on conserving some of the items from the Titanic while I was in the Preservation program at EMU. Frankly, I didn't like it. People seem to have a hard time separating "I'm the King of the World" from what really happened. Someone actually tried to tell me how 'romantic' it was. I'm sorry, but I don't see what is romantic about 1500 people dying a horrible death.

I know what you mean. I enjoy the movie and know that the love story part of it fake. But, James Cameron did a fantastic job on the realness of the sinking I think.

Before I went into the exhibit I trained my mind for a moment to dis-associate the movie from the reality and thought only of the artifacts and the factual terms and erie feelings of the wreck. It is very spooky to see the real items and know the facts of it all. I never heard anyone talk of the movie or anything like that when I went through it. It was awesome.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I too am a great lover of the old Ocean Liners. I stumbled on The Titanic Exhibition when I was in Toronto the last time several years ago. I was out of my mind that I would be able to see it while I was there.
First off Toronto had a much bigger and better show than Detroit had. They had two huge mock up models of the liner as she sits on the bottom of the Atlantic, I mean the lighting and the shear size of these models were very realistic. You felt as though you were diving it. Plus another part was the huge room with these massive glass panels hanging to form a eight or ten sided room, that had all the names of the people that died engraved in them. This was very moving for me, and brought tears to my eyes, as it reallyhad a big impact on me.
They also had the headphones for listing.
I under stand peoples feelings about disturbing this site. Unfortunatley Robbert Ballard should have clamed ownership when he found her. I wish he had never revealed her position in the Atlantic. I believe it is a site like the Edmund Fitzgerald that is burial site and should never be touch.
All these morons like Cameron who go down to her are distroying her faster all the time. The damage that has been done to her is unspeakable. They ripped off the Crows nest that was there, and countless other items, and every time they land on her decks , that too causes more damage.
Her sister, the Brittanic is also a grreat old liner, but she is somewhat protected, as she is off Ireland's coast, and you must get their permission to dive her.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
While serving as a hospital ship during WWI, Britannic hit a German mine and sank in the Aegean Sea. Thirty died, most from abandoning ship prematurely and tangling with the ships still-turning propellers.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Lusitania, which was torpedoed and sunk by a U-boat off Ireland in May of the previous year?

11/16 addition:

Lusitania does require permission of Ireland's government for any dives or exploration.

Meanwhile, Britannic requires permission from Greek government. Also has special rules and restrictions because she is classified as a British war grave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.