Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Hey Beth...my Uncle has it...he says its great but I haven't really sat down and played with it. The manual was way too much for me to read and I really don't think he is taking advantage of all of the features it comes with. I truly enjoy electronics stuff...but I still haven't really been convinced yet. I think it serves a purpose depending on how much TV you watch. I know this doesn't help much but all I can say is he really, really enjoys it. Thats my .01cent

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I've thought about getting it, but its still a bit on the pricey side with the monthly fee and all.

VCRs still work for me, even though they seem to be becoming obsolete.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The best thing I've ever bought. I have Direct TV. So, I had to buy a new reciever. I only pay $5.00 a month for service. I love it.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
I read an article sometime back in PC World about setting up your PC to act like a TiVo. Sure you'd need a monster hard drive, but at least you wouldn't have to paya subscription fee.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The subscription your TIVo unit to download up-to-date scheduling information and periodic updates. I have it and love it. You can record much more programming than a VCR and you do not even care about scheduling times. You programs get record mo matter what once you preferences are set.

You can also pay a one time fee instead of the monthly. Alot of other features (ie pausing live tv like a VCR), you can check it out on the web site.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
My brother has it and loves it. Doesn't know how he watched TV without it. I guess it keeps track of what you watch and if something comes on that it believe's you might want to see it will tape it automatic for you. So when you do watch TV your only watching shows that you want to see. He also paid the lifetime membership fee. I think it works out that if you have the system for more than 2 years it pays for itself.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have it, its the only way to manage TV watching especially if your very busy. Marking a program to be recorded is simple, and the hard drive records 60 hours of vewing. Also its digital and can be burned onto a CD with great quality. I think the best part is being able to pause, and or back up live watching when interuptions occur.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm sold. I like the idea of having things to watch whenever I decide to watch tv. There is nothing worse than wanting to relax and watch tv and there is nothing on. I also don't find my vcr reliable and the quality of the recording isn't that great!
Everyone I have talked to has nothing but positive things to say about it.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Dammit! Now I really want one.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It's pretty cool. you can program it to record a show you like and it will record it whenever it is on. It even knows if it is a repeat or not and won't record it if it has already been recorded.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Jason R @ Jul 10 2003, 01:07 PM)It's pretty cool. you can program it to record a show you like and it will record it whenever it is on. It even knows if it is a repeat or not and won't record it if it has already been recorded.
Does it cut all commercials?

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
That does sound good. I wasn't interested because I rarely watch TV, but that's why it may be even better for me!

Can we setup a group buy for this, since so many people want them? Administrators?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know the difference between direct tv Tivo and regular Tivo. Why is the Direct TV one only $5 per month and the other is $12.95? Also, what is the lifetime fee on the Direct Tv TIVO?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we ended up getting TIVO and it is great!
WOW! There is no comparison to a VCR. What a great investment! Can't live without it. No one will ever dictate to me what time I have to watch certain shows ever again!
No more commercials!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome to the club ! :) IMO it is the only way to watch TV..... also sign up for the newsletter from TIVO, has tips and updates in a newsletter format.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I'm confused.... Okay, with Tivo if you have say Dish Network and also regular TV stations from an antenna on your roof, how does Tivo know how to record programs from your Dish Network??? If your watching one station on dish network how does Tivo get a signal for another station to record????

·
Registered
262 Posts
The TIVO unit sits between your TV and the dish and antena. There is a slight (2-3) second) time difference between your signal and what is displayed on the TV screen since the signal is being process by your TIVO unit. Your subscription allows the TIVO unit to dial-in and download daily program scheduling information. This is how it know what to record.

If you want to what 1 show and record another at the same time, use a splitter to un 1 line into TIVO, the other into your TV. You will watch the TV show "live" while TIVO records the other.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
QUOTE(OneSided @ Sep 16 2003, 12:08 PM)The TIVO unit sits between your TV and the dish and antena. There is a slight (2-3) second) time difference between your signal and what is displayed on the TV screen since the signal is being process by your TIVO unit. Your subscription allows the TIVO unit to dial-in and download daily program scheduling information. This is how it know what to record.

If you want to what 1 show and record another at the same time, use a splitter to un 1 line into TIVO, the other into your TV. You will watch the TV show "live" while TIVO records the other.
Lets just say that someone had a dish network with a chip in it and was getting free programming say in Canada where they do that sort of thing.. Will tivo then work with that unit?????

·
Registered
262 Posts
I believe TIVO is not available in Canada. However, you might have different options w/ DirectTV. You can call 800-DIRECTV (800-347-3288) and check with them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts