Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, Friday July 25 at approximately 5:15 PM we were headed up the South Channel at a liesurely pace going for a ride. We were approximately a mile from the St. Clair Cutoff where we intended to head south back out into the lake. We were on the starboard side of the channel about 300 feet from shore, upbound and there was a small aluminum fishing boat crossing in front of us headed from Harsens to Seaway. The channel is at least half a mile wide there. Coming toward us at a high rate of speed on the wrong side of the channel is, maybe a 32 Powerquest/Sunsation (hard to tell he was moving so fast and coming straight at us). The fishing boat and I head towards the shore of Seaway trying to get out of this guy's way. There are no other boats in sight and he has 3/4 of the channel to himself. When we turn to starboard (right for some of you) to try to get out his way, he turns into us at which point fisherman and I don't have a clue as to how to react, this guy is liable to do anything. I pull back on the throttle and at the last minute he turns and passes me about thirty feet to port (left side) doing 60 or 70. He makes sure to give us the finger as he passes. This is akin to traveling at a high rate of speed the wrong way down the freeway with the intent of causing a head-on collision.

I hope the skipper of that boat is reading this because this is for him.

1. Learn some basic navigation skills so you at least know which side of the channel you're supposed to be on. While you're at it, learn who has the right of way and the proper response when two vessels are on intersecting courses. You probably don't know that one either.

2. Get a boat you can handle.

3. Take your finger and stick it where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Sorry, that was me....

No way, just kiddin'! And it isn't even funny, that's total crap! I don't have a go-fast and I won't generalize on people and their boats, but I've been privy to some stories of folks with go-fasts that are NOT equipped with the wherewithall to handle a piece of machinery like that! (again, this is not about the whole population of go-fast-folks at all). I've actually met one or two of these, these.... dirt-bags, too. Nice guys on land, I guess, but them and their "crew" (usually all women, drunk and beligerant) are no fun to tangle with. Not "tough" in any way shape or form. Just very annoying, loud, obnoxious and immature. Like, I got Daddy's boat for the day with my hooker *I mean stripper* friends and we're gonna go to all the places I've been hearing about for years; screw you and your fishing boat, your cruiser or your dinghy!!
Sorry to my stripper friends (all 0 of you), cause I know you're a real respectable bunch, ladies!

Storm, dude, I'm sorry to hear this, but honestly, these "guys" have been doing this for years. It's how they compensate for their small wangs.

That's the only reason I can think of. Next time get their MC numbers. Then post it here, we'll get their personal info and we can all whoop their a$$ verbally here, and physically when we see these douchebags!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wasn't me and my 32 Sunsation, I promise. Before getting an offshore I thought that was generally how people were that owned them. Now that I have met tons of offshore folks, most all of them are very responsible and respectable people.

Best thing to do is get the MC's of the boats that are a problem and keep reporting them to the sheriff, eventually they will get nailed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not generalizing. Over the years, I've met plenty of go fast skippers that are knowledgable, considerate and enjoying the lake in a safe and sane manner. I love speed myself but not when it endangers other people's lives. As far as the MC numbers go, I know my boats pretty well and he was going so fast when he passed us that I couldn't even be sure what kind of boat it was. Besides I was too busy genuflecting and preparing to meet my maker. This guy was alone so I don't think he was the boat that capsized yesterday evening. The skipper of that one was drunk and now someone is dead. It was rough out there late in the afternoon and caution was required. Does anyone remember about ten years ago when the guy with the 38' Scarab stuffed it south of Seaway. It was late in the season, October I think, and he and his young son were taking the boat to Algonac to put it away for the winter. It was a blustery, windy day. The coasties found the boat and one body the next day, the other body wasn't found for quite awhile. That one was the result of bad judgement. Yesterday's incident (my experience) was either the result of arrogance or ignorance or both.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
my fater in law used to carry havey trianglee sinkers for such occasions once when i was out with him sinmmilar thing happend ,,, he threw at the baot that did same thing heard a loud crack noise ,,, sure he messed up there fiberglass , and made them think twice , they turned around and al he said to them was a hole will meet you on shore if yo want to settle this with the police , , guy never said a word just left ..

·
Registered
991 Posts
I do remember when the man and his son died in that Scarab. I thought they hit sand Island. Anyway, someone was waiting for them on the other side with the trailer to pull it out for the season, very tragic. I couldn't imagine the feeling waiting for them to show up and then find out the boat crashed.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
You should have fired the flare gun at him.

I bet the same guy on land drives a Dodge Ram. People who drive like that always seem to be driving one of those.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wasn't me, didn't even hit the water this weekend!

Seriously though, I've had numerous "run ins" with offshore idiots out on the lake... and I drive an offshore myself. 90% of the offshore guys out there are loyal, safe drivers. But its the 10% of "Type B personalities" that ruin it for the rest of us. I've been flipped off at least half a dozen times for not yielding the "left of way" and once I was actually chased down for a mile by "Captain Steroid" because he felt he should have had the right to cut through the metro channel buoy's at speed.

Idiots are everywhere. However, It becomes much more obvious, and visible when these guys get big, fast machines.

It just goes to prove that anybody can get approved credit for just about anything these days!

-Bayley

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey, I heard there is this thing called a boaters safety class and they know what the rules really are......I ran on inland lakes for 15 years with boats I owned and the first thing I did before running a bigger boat on St Clair was take the Coast Guard Safety Class.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I must have only been going 55 mph, cause the sheriff we passed didn't pull me over and give me a speedin' ticket! Guess I out did you in this weekend of boating, I went from Clinton River to Mac Ray's and threw anchor, then a few hours later pulled anchor and went back to Clinton River.

By the way lakes like Orion have speed limits of 40mph. Doesn't that sound like fun?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
wasn't us either!.. the boat hasn't been in the water since last Monday!..The mechanics working on it will vouche for us too!!>..

sorry you had deal with the a$$hole, and glad you're safe.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
You would think with this being such an on going problem, someone would be doing something about it? .........like pass a law where every boater must have boater safety class.

Speaking of boater safety. Does anyone know who you contact to get a copy of your cert and how long they hold the records for?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem with ignorant boaters seems to be getting exponentially worse with the increase in the volume of boat sales. A few years ago at the boatshow I asked a Deputy Sherrif on the marine patrol why boaters aren't required to be licensed. Seems like a good idea. At least they'd be required to know the basics before heading out on the lake for a day of mayhem and disregarding other's safety. He told me that the boat manufacturers have a strong lobby and they didn't want anything to make it more difficult to buy and operate a boat as it would have a negative impact on sales. I wonder how many people have to die on the lake before the politicians wake up? Friday's tragedy in Anchor Bay is another prime example. A few years ago some idiot took off out of Beacon Cove with a fast Baja (his first boat), it was rough out and he didn't even get a mile from the marina before he and his girlfriend were both ejected from the boat. A female passenger was knocked out cold and was lying on the deck with the throttles wide open in extremely rough water. We passed through the search area right after it happened so I remember the water conditions quite well. She finally came to, and luckily figured out how to shut the boat down. The driver and his girlfriend were both DOA.

Last winter I watched an interesting show on ESPN. It was a collection of offshore boating accidents that occured during sanctioned races. It was a real wakeup call to watch big Scarabs, Fountains etc. going end over end, standing straight up or stuffing it right into a big wave. Really made me think that if these big offshores, with professional drivers, could do this, my humble 26' Baja was a prime candidate in rough water. I've really slowed down when the water conditions deteriorate since seeing that show.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Is it so much we have idiots on the water or the uneducated? I would love to see a mandatory training class before being able to drive a boat out on St Clair. I would take it even now, can't hurt to learn a few more things.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Aggressortom @ Aug 5 2003, 12:14 PM)Is it so much we have idiots on the water or the uneducated? I would love to see a mandatory training class before being able to drive a boat out on St Clair. I would take it even now, can't hurt to learn a few more things.
and not make it grandfathered...but what the hell you don't even have to take a driving test any more

1 - 20 of 25 Posts