Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day....

It has been a while. Strange stuff....used to be just "TheBlonde". Hmmm...I think that I was ousted
Tried to log in repeatedly, unsuccessfully. So I improvised and here I am again!
Back to topic...some friends and I are interested in a trip to Tobermory. It looks gorgeous. Any insight, info, do's, don't's? Thanks in advance and make yourself a great evening!

·
Registered
512 Posts
We are stopping here in July on our way to North Channel / Georgian Bay. Looks like a nice spot based on people I have talked to and the info in the Ports Cruising Guide - Georgian Bay, North Channel & Lake Huron edition.

You can find some good information including marinas, restaurants, maps, things to do, etc. at this website:

www.tobermory.org/

·
Registered
795 Posts
Very cool place to go. Certainly check out Flowerpot Island. Theres some good camping there if you care to rough it or stay on the boat. Kinda a small dock though.

Also grab a snorkle and maybe some fins as there are alot of shipwrecks that can be seen from the surface or just below. Diving is even better if thats your thing.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Tobermory is at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula. It's a real picturesque little port. But that area is all rock, so do be careful and watch your charts. That whole peninsula is the edge of the Niagara Escarpment, kind of the edge of a bowl thats low on one side and rises to the othr side, with the western side on Lake Huron running out shallow and long in big slabs of rock and the eastern side in Georgian Bay dropping off right near the shore.

It's a really interesting geographical area. The diving is supposed to be great but c-c-cold - wet suit required. Near the lighthouse that welcomes you into the harbor is a sheer cliff underwater that goes down hundreds of feet, I'm told.

You'll like it there.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Tobermory is definately a fun town! Lots of dockage, deep water, plenty of tourist type stuff. Try the fish taco place on the west side of town (they're really pretty good). The town is pretty much built around Little tub harbor. They have a very good concrete ramp there (if you're trailering). One word of caution...it's steep, I've seen folks with 24-25 ft sport cruisers have difficulty pulling up the ramp, although I haven't had a problem. As of our last trip in 2002, fuel was no longer available in Little Tub harbor. Klaus (the harbormaster) was having too many problems with gas/diesel fuel mixups and fuel going into pumpout lines (dockhands not paying close enough attention). So they stopped fuel service. You have to get your fuel in Big tub harbor at the private gas dock (don't remember the name). I agree about Flowerpot Island, we camped there in 2002. Beautiful scenery, they also have a rock beach with a cliff that goes straight down about 250'+. One word of caution (you get this a lot up there), the entrance into the small harbor is narrow and shallow, you need polarized sunglasses and a sharp eye to get into the docks. The water is only 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep with a rock and gravel bottom. We made it in with a 25 ft Sundancer, so it can be done, just take it really slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts