Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick survey:
I think he will get suspended for the rest of this year, and the playoffs-and a HUGE fine...
Anyone think he will be suspended into next season?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Not only banned, but I think I could come up with a few criminal charges as well.
Forget that it was in a game and pretend it happened on the street. He sucker punches some guy, breaks his neck, its caught on video and he in turn is also caught. I have a feeling the City Prosecutor would go a little farther than suspending his Blockbuster Video card for 6 months. How about time behind bars, without the liquor, friends and cute bartender to wait on him? Just cold steel and daily inspections.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Decision came out:
Suspended for the remainder of the year and the playoffs, without pay.

I'm sure he meant to rough up Steve Moore, and he meant to sucker punch him, but I doubt he was "trying to break his neck"

No winners in this deal.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(waxonwaxoff @ Mar 11 2004, 09:21 AM)Decision came out:

I'm sure he meant to rough up Steve Moore, and he meant to sucker punch him, but I doubt he was "trying to break his neck"

No winners in this deal.
i agree with you

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Is ther a clip of this on the web? Can you post the link?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
All over SportsCenter every 15 minutes.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Mar 11 2004, 10:13 AM)Not only banned, but I think I could come up with a few criminal charges as well.
Forget that it was in a game and pretend it happened on the street. He sucker punches some guy, breaks his neck, its caught on video and he in turn is also caught. I have a feeling the City Prosecutor would go a little farther than suspending his Blockbuster Video card for 6 months. How about time behind bars, without the liquor, friends and cute bartender to wait on him? Just cold steel and daily inspections.
agreed

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Mar 11 2004, 09:13 AM)Not only banned, but I think I could come up with a few criminal charges as well.

I agree.......Just because he didn`t mean for it to happen

doesn`t mean it didn`t.......

And what about the other player earlier this year that

killed a teamate in an auto accident.....What was his

punishment..?

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
that hit was terrible, and just uncalled for in my opinion

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I still forsee criminal charges. The local PD adn Prosecutor cant let it go with just a fine and NHL sanctions. Would be like me beating a co-worker in fron t of a security worker and the boss saying take some time off to cool down with no pay. Then come back. Oh yea, the police wont do anything to you because we are handling it.

No time is WRONG

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
WELL I THINK THE NHL SHOULD HANDLE THIS, AND BE SERIOUS WITH HANDLING IT.

IF NOT AND THE LAW AUTHORTIES GET INVOLVED IT WOULD BE BAD, CAN YOU IMAGINE EVERY GAME YOU GO TO , LAWYERS AND POLICE WATCHIG THE GAME, FOR A FIGHT, HARM, WITH CRIMINAL CHARGES OF ASSAULT FOR EVERY INCIDENT, AND LAWYERS SUING EVERYBODY. REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY EXISTANT FOR ENTERTAINMENT, THERE ARE RULES TO THEIR ENTERTAINMENT THAT SHOULD BE GOVERNED BY THE BOARD OF THE NHL.
I DON'T THINK LAW SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN THIS, MY OPINION AT THIS TIME, UNLESS THEY DO NOT BE AS HARSH AS THEY SHOULD BE ON BERTUZZI.
THIS IS NOT LIKE DRIVING TO WORK AND A CO WORKER GOING OFF ON YOU, IT IS A SPORT-ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. IT NEEDS TO REMEMBERED THAT, THAT IS ALL THIS IS, FOOTBALL, BASEBALL, HOCKEY,..ALL SPORTS.
MY.02

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
I couldn't agree more with fast eddie. Since it happened on the ice it is an NHL issue. The game is a violent one and things can get out of hand. I do not condone #44s actions it is never ok to sucker punch anyone however, if the Colorado player turned around and fought back instead of going down there wouldn't be any suspension just two five minute penalties. The only reason this is a stink is because he accidentally broke his neck. The NHL has to rule on this (they have) and Bertuzzi will end up paying with almost one million dollars and a possible Stanley Cup. I would say that is a fairly huge fine for a second of aggrevation. The sad thing is that Colorados Steve Moore is now out for the rest of the season and the playoffs too.

Now, as a selfish wings fan, our two biggest rivals just lost two of their best players....he he hee....

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
QUOTE(Dookie @ Mar 11 2004, 09:25 AM)QUOTE(waxonwaxoff @ Mar 11 2004, 09:21 AM) Decision came out:

No winners in this deal.
i agree with you
I agree! But imagine how the other guy feels he can't play for the rest of his life. He can't even play with himself. He can't even you know what on top of alot of other things for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
it's a horrible situation for all involved. I'm not sure that the punishment was enough though. I do agree with Eddie and hope this stays within the NHL. The other things they do to each other in a regular game would be considered assault on the street. I saw the clip this morning...what an awful blow <_<

·
Registered
284 Posts
If they decide to charge Bertuzzi, then they should also charge Moore. The reason this happened was retaliation for an earlier hit by Moore on a Vancouver player. The guy from Vancouver missed three games with a knee injury when Moore intentionally tried to take him out. Maybe he was not hurt as severely, but the intent was still there.

The NHL is partly to blame in my opinion. They need to get rid of the instigator penalty and let the players handle things on the ice and not let them build up. Vancouver has been saying for months they were going to get Moore. If there was no instigator penalty, this would have been taken care of in the game when Moore took out the Vancouver guy and it wouldn't have boiled up to this. For that matter, with no instigator penalty, Moore may not have done what he did, so this would have never happened. Not saying Moore was at fault, but if people have been saying in the paper and on the news they were going to get me, I don't think I would have turned my back.

Go ahead and suspend Bertuzzi for the rest of the year. I don't think he should be banned for life though. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FourWinns,
I agree with you... If they did not have the instigator rule, they would have squared off and it would be over and done with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts