Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got off st clair river around 10 pm and when i drove by the boat launch off m-29 there was a few police cars, ambulances, firetrucks, and a state cop there anyone hear anything?

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
I can see that area out my window.

There are still flashing lights in Bud's parking lot and the DNR launch. There does not seem to be any activity on the water.

I turned on the fire rescue channels on the scanner but didn't hear anything.

Matt

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Mondays are often training night for the fire depts. It doesn't usually last this late though. I heard the coastie copter go by over an hour ago. Was that you Esoxfly?

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Ok, curiosity got the best of me. Plus I'm sitting here waiting for a scan to complete on a computer I'm fixing and nothing to do but wait.

The lights that look like they were in Bud's parking lot are actually acros the street(M-29). There is a boat and trailer on a lawn with 2 police cars.

At the launch there is a 22' - 24' boat on a trailer in the ramp hooked to what looks like a tow truck or maybe just a large pickup.

The area is roped off with yellow tape. Lots of police and large lights set up in the launch parking lot.

There is your report. On a side note it appears I can sneak out late at night and go undetected by the wife.

Matt

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(tcg @ Jun 22 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, curiosity got the best of me. Plus I'm sitting here waiting for a scan to complete on a computer I'm fixing and nothing to do but wait.

The lights that look like they were in Bud's parking lot are actually acros the street(M-29). There is a boat and trailer on a lawn with 2 police cars.

At the launch there is a 22' - 24' boat on a trailer in the ramp hooked to what looks like a tow truck or maybe just a large pickup.

The area is roped off with yellow tape. Lots of police and large lights set up in the launch parking lot.

There is your report. On a side note it appears I can sneak out late at night and go undetected by the wife.

Matt

Maybe last night, but try it when you really WANT to get out. It wont work! lol

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Now that's not true Mini!
Just last night, while the cat was sleeping, I snuck out like a little mouse, and I met Stanley

We had a nice time getting to know each other, some laughs, a little snuggling and some kisses too.
Unfortunately Stanley is a little young, 9 weeks old to be exact, and he's taken by another woman.

But he is a cute little puppy and Kathy says come and see him anytime

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Man hit by truck in boat launch
A man was seriously injured after being run over by a truck pulling a boat about 10:30 p.m. in Ira Township, said St. Clair County Sheriff Sgt. Kevin Manns.

The man was in the Department of Natural Resources boat launch off Dixie Highway when he was struck by the truck and boat trailer.

The driver of the vehicle fled the scene but was caught shortly later by deputies as witnesses followed him and reported his location to police, Manns said.

Details about the driver and victim weren't available this morning, he said.

The victim was transported to Mount Clemens General Hospital.

Manns said he sustained serious injuries but was in stable condition.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the incident, he said.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Alcohol involved? Not surprising. Why else flee the scene? DUI involving serious injury, fleeing and eluding, leaving the scene of an accident involving serious injury, etc.....all because this guy can't control his habit. I must be the only man on the planet that can stop at two beers.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was wondering what was happening last night? I just finished putting a new hub on my neighbors boat trailer, & i saw all the Ira Twp volunteer firefighters go tearing off for a call, headed towards algonac, then lots of sirens, then cops FLYING down M-29 headed towards New Baltimore at Full throttle... Had no clue?? Thanks for the update. Hope the guy that got ran over is OK!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(Jazzy405 @ Jun 23 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Man hit by truck in boat launch
A man was seriously injured after being run over by a truck pulling a boat about 10:30 p.m. in Ira Township, said St. Clair County Sheriff Sgt. Kevin Manns.

The man was in the Department of Natural Resources boat launch off Dixie Highway when he was struck by the truck and boat trailer.

The driver of the vehicle fled the scene but was caught shortly later by deputies as witnesses followed him and reported his location to police, Manns said.

Details about the driver and victim weren't available this morning, he said.

The victim was transported to Mount Clemens General Hospital.

Manns said he sustained serious injuries but was in stable condition.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the incident, he said.

Summer time on LSC. Here we go...
Be careful out there everybody, and avoid the morons drunk off their minds being stupid on or near the water.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Update:
IRA TWP. - A 26-year-old township man is expected to be arraigned Wednesday in St. Clair County District Court on multiple charges after police said he ran over a man with a truck about 10:30 p.m. Monday at the Department of Natural Resources boat launch off Dixie Highway.

The victim was seriously injured and is in Mount Clemens General Hospital, police said. Further information about him was not available this evening.

The driver, whose name has not been released, is expected to be charged with operating while intoxicated, felonious assault and leaving the scene of an injury accident.

Police said the driver left the scene but was followed by witnesses and stopped a short time later by St. Clair County sheriff deputies.

·
3,236 Posts
If the information in this thread's replies is accurate then this was not a drunk driving ACCIDENT. Felonious assault is generally not charged when the authorities believe the assault occured accidentally. Of course we won't know anything for sure until the official investigation is completed and charges are actually brought, sad either way.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hit-and-run suspect charged with drunk driving, assault
June 25, 2009

An Ira Township man was arraigned this morning on several charges following a hit-and-run accident that left a 25-year-old Riley Township man seriously injured.

Robert Howard Degregory, 26, is charged with operating while intoxicated causing serious injury, assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, driving while license suspended causing serious injury and failure to stop at a serious injury accident.

The incident occurred shortly after 10 p.m. Monday at a boat ramp off M-29 in Ira Township.

Degregory intentionally ran over the victim, Christopher Brass, who was trying to stop him from driving, according to a statement from the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department.

Degregory left the scene and was apprehended a short time later by citizens and members of the New Baltimore Police Department.

Clay Township police officers and Ira Township firefighters assisted at the scene.

Bond was set at $15,000 cash or surety.

A preliminary examination is scheduled for July 8.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
What I heard, totally through the grapevine and I have no clue who even told me, was that the guy was hammered, others were trying to keep him from driving, and when he could, he jumped into the truck and sped off, and hit someone with the trailer dragging them a short distance and seriously messing them up.

Sounds like it jives with the official reports, but of course take it for what it is.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
What an asshat. Because of his lack of brain power, somebody else is suffering.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
All he had to do is let one of the witnesses who offered drive him home.

Matt

Source

Drunken-driving fears end with injuries

BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

He's in a back brace with a broken neck and spine, a detached tendon in his hand and his teeth shaved off from being dragged at a St. Clair County boat ramp.

But 25-year-old Christopher Brass of Memphis is being called a hero by St. Clair County Sheriff Tim Donnellon after police say he was seriously injured trying to stop a man from driving drunk while towing a boat.

"I tried the best I could," Brass said Thursday. "He could've gotten somebody else, head-on. He could have killed someone else."

Robert Degregory, 26, of Ira Township was arraigned Thursday in 72nd District Court in Marine City on charges of operating while intoxicated and causing serious harm, assault with intent to do bodily harm, driving with a suspended license and failing to stop at a serious injury accident.

Bond was set at $15,000. A preliminary exam was set for July 8.

Brass and others at the Ira Township boat ramp off M-29 said they realized Degregory shouldn't be driving as they helped him load his boat at 10 p.m. Monday. Christopher pleaded with Degregory not to drive and tried to take the keys. Others offered to drive the man home -- boat and all.

"He decided to just peel out and turned into me," said Brass, who was standing near the driver's side. "I got ran over by the trailer. I don't know how I lived through it."

Other people at the ramp then called 911 and followed Degregory until he was arrested by New Baltimore police.

"It is this type of involvement by citizens that makes our job easier," Donnellon said.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts