Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fall is here. The smell of hot shrink wrap... next spring is coming though.

After this summer I've decided that I'm getting too damn old for the hassle of trailering my boat.
I'd like to just get in what ever car's at the bottom of the drive, untie the boat and chug on out into the lake. Watch the sunrise from the lake not the line up at the ramp. Or just pick up and go if I decide I want to go out in the evening. Then just tie up and go home. Or let my son use the boat without borrowing my truck too.

Can anybody recommend a marina in the Anchor Bay area? I'd like to look places over before the snow flies.

The boat's a 16 ft. Smokercraft OB, just shy of 7ft. wide (stubby little sucker but dry), so I don't need much of a well. --this year...
Might not get out if it's too windy, but I do leave the gas dock with change from my $20...

Thought about rack storage. It can sit on an outdoor rack as well as it sets on the trailer in my yard.

Don't need much in the way of "amenities" maybe just some where to store extra grand children between boat rides? I can store the trailer at home.
Don't need wifi or cable tv or water. Just an outhouse (I said I was old!) Not sure what I'd do with electric (charge the trolling motor!)

About what would a 16 ft. well cost? Any discount if I sign up early?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
QUOTE(Zolton @ Oct 10 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fall is here. The smell of hot shrink wrap... next spring is coming though.

After this summer I've decided that I'm getting too damn old for the hassle of trailering my boat.
I'd like to just get in what ever car's at the bottom of the drive, untie the boat and chug on out into the lake. Watch the sunrise from the lake not the line up at the ramp. Or just pick up and go if I decide I want to go out in the evening. Then just tie up and go home. Or let my son use the boat without borrowing my truck too.

Can anybody recommend a marina in the Anchor Bay area? I'd like to look places over before the snow flies.

The boat's a 16 ft. Smokercraft OB, just shy of 7ft. wide (stubby little sucker but dry), so I don't need much of a well. --this year...
Might not get out if it's too windy, but I do leave the gas dock with change from my $20...

Thought about rack storage. It can sit on an outdoor rack as well as it sets on the trailer in my yard.

Don't need much in the way of "amenities" maybe just some where to store extra grand children between boat rides? I can store the trailer at home.
Don't need wifi or cable tv or water. Just an outhouse (I said I was old!) Not sure what I'd do with electric (charge the trolling motor!)

I would call Blue Lagoon, it is a good location on the lake, but no amenities, so it is cheaper.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Bugsy Seagull @ Oct 10 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zolton @ Oct 10 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fall is here. The smell of hot shrink wrap... next spring is coming though.

I would call Blue Lagoon, it is a good location on the lake, but no amenities, so it is cheaper.

Right now Blue Lagoon is at the top of my list.

·
Vendor
40 Posts
QUOTE(Zolton @ Oct 11 2009, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Bugsy Seagull @ Oct 10 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zolton @ Oct 10 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fall is here. The smell of hot shrink wrap... next spring is coming though.

Right now Blue Lagoon is at the top of my list.

It sounds like rack storage is the way to go!

·
LSCN Sponsor since 09/09
205 Posts
We have wells available on the Salt River minutes from Anchor Bay. We would be happt to show them to you.

Jefferson North Marina.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Having her in a well is convenient, but it has its down-sides, too. Her bottom will turn a nasty brown colour and her waterline will become encrusted in green slime. The waterline thing you can fight--if you're willing to get her into a shallow area at least once every two weeks to scrub the waterline with a microfiber cloth or the like. (Let her go a month and forget it.) Sure, you can get all that off after you haul her, but that's no fun, either. Worse: Her bottom will be subject to blistering. Not as big a problem with more current fiberglass, but it does still happen. It's not something you can just let go, either.

The spiders... oh yeah, the spiders. You go to take the mooring canvas off (you do have mooring canvas, I hope) and they'll come out in droves.

A boat that sits in the water full-time probably should have an automatic bilge pump and assured power to keep it running, too.

We have a free slip, courtesy of a good friend. I think next season we'll try the trailering thing. It's nice having the boat in the driveway, where I can go out and putz around on her, cleaning, fixing or improving this, that or the other thing.

My buddy says about one season of the trailering thing and I'll have had about enough of that. We'll see...

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts