Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Been away for a while, but did manage to make a few quick late afternoon / evening trips out to the lake. Looks like the toothy critters are starting to pick up: been getting better than a hit every hour until about sunset since last week. And they're starting to hit the big baits. Lots of fun!

Got out a few times in August and early September, with some good days and some lousy days. Mix of bass, pike, and small muskies, but most notably caught a fat mid 30s inch tiger musky on August 22 on the deep husky jerk. Great fight on a medium bass rig!

Action got better in late September for the toothy critters. Caught some dinks and a fat mid 30s 'ski, which hit a deep husky jerk on the medium bass rod last Tuesday (9/22). Lots of fun, that one... some nice pics of the fish in the water. Last Wed got a dink musky and nice pike (on a 10 inch Nils) on my first 2 passes on the way out, just heading out of the launch site at the mouth of the Clinton. Lost some nice ones. Lots of strikes. 3.5mph was best 9/22-23. Seems like it's getting time to run slower and bigger.

Thursday 10/1 got the itch and got a nice low 30s inch pike right on my way out on a swimbait that looks like a shad. Also caught another smaller pike and had a fat musky that appeared to be in the low 40s (hooked under the jaw, so no measurement) take a crack at my 13 inch Grandma out a bit from the river mouth toward Strawberry Island right at dusk. Thursday all the action came on lures that were shad-like: water temperature upper 50s, best speed about 3mph.

Here are some pics:

Face-to-face with a tiger 8/22
Water Sky Cloud Fisherman Smile

This rocky has an appetite!
Water Smile Sky Vertebrate Fisherman

Action shot of a mid 30s musky on bass rod 9/22
Water Liquid Fluid Fin Lake

Another of the same musky 9/22
Water Reptile Fluid Liquid Lake

Colorful pike caught on Nils 9/23 2nd pass right off light house
Fish Ray-finned fish Tail Fin Terrestrial plant

Nice pike between the buoys 10/1 in the water
Water Liquid Fluid Marine biology Lake

Same pike 10/1
Water Sky Smile Cloud Goggles

Musky that had poor aim 10/1
Food Vertebrate Water Natural material Spider web

Attachments

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Sorry Mike that is a great lakes Tiger

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Oct 3 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>THANX for the report. Great to see some pics the reports have been a little thin with the weather lately.

Weather be damned! Who says you can't fish in a small craft advisory?!?!

Mid lake weeds, 10 fow on a Super Believer today while everyone was watching the game.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Were you casting a super believer, or have you really gone over to the dark side?

Jolly nice fish, whatever the case.

QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 3 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(6667supersport @ Oct 3 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>THANX for the report. Great to see some pics the reports have been a little thin with the weather lately.

10 fow on a Super Believer.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Mike you can see it especially in the tail. You can see th pike lineage in the rounded lobes, and blotchiness on the tail.

The pic on the sign is representative and not a dead lock on the strains. For me, it's the strength of the bar that say "tiger" to me. But that's me.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Oct 3 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Were you casting a super believer, or have you really gone over to the dark side?

Jolly nice fish, whatever the case.

QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 3 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(6667supersport @ Oct 3 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>THANX for the report. Great to see some pics the reports have been a little thin with the weather lately.

10 fow on a Super Believer.

Yep casting, 12" Super Believer...that's not the mondo 13" jointed the trollers use, it's the one with the grub tail. Easy to cast.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 3 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mike you can see it especially in the tail. You can see th pike lineage in the rounded lobes, and blotchiness on the tail.

The pic on the sign is representative and not a dead lock on the strains. For me, it's the strength of the bar that say "tiger" to me. But that's me.
Yeah, I looked at the tail. Top part is pointed not rounded. The bottom is turned away from the camera and can't really see for certain.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 3 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Weather be damned! Who says you can't fish in a small craft advisory?!?!

Mid lake weeds, 10 fow on a Super Believer today while everyone was watching the game.

Where did you find 10 FOW in mid-lake??

Nice fish, and fun conditions, u a better man than I this weekend.

·
Registered
360 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 5 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wouldn't you like to know!

I don't mean smack-dab in the middle of the lake, just "mid lake" in that it's not Anchor Bay, and not the Dumping Grounds. A decent ways south of 400 Club...how's that?

I always fish off the 9 Mile Tower..

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wondered for a bit whether the fish might be a barred musky, but the bold, mottled face markings, finer stripes, and convex tail lobes definitely suggest tiger musky. Cool fish, whatever the case. And fought like a hellcat.

Next time out I may go for size, and run the big baits. Perhaps near the DR mouth or the Belle and Thames river mouths if I can get over and launch there (underpowered to motor there from the US). The shad should be staging big time by now at the river mouths.

Any good pike near the Belle and Thames River mouths? I've not caught any pike near the DR mouth at all, just bass, 'eyes, and 'skis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts