Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any bass fisherman or muskie fisherman use top water baits in St Clair. If so what types. I myself haven't had much luck with them. Im courios to hear from others that use them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Muskiehound, I'd throw Buzz Baits, Super Spooks, Pop-r's and a Spit'n Image. Once I had a 18 1/2" smallmouth hooked on the front treble and a 13 3/4" largemouth hooked on the back treble. The super spooks are big but it's awesome when they hit it. Last year I fished on of the GNT Tournaments and I had at lease 5 big blowups but none hooked. They were just smacking the lure until one had launched it about 12 to 16 inches out of the water. There's nothing like walking a spook and out of the blue a smallie blasting it. Confidence is number one. Good luck!

Steve J.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I throw pretty much the same topwater baits. Last June's BFL tournament was a topwater tournament. I had bass all over the lake knocking them around that day.

As far as muskies go, I say the same thing I always say, just go bass fishing with whatever you want to use that day and you'll get a musky or two every couple of times out. For topwater, dark spooks seem to be a little higher percentage for the muskies. Any long slender shape (or trolling motor prop) on St. Clair is never truly safe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pop-r's and zaraspooks. At the right time and conditions, it don't get no better.
I'm dying to try an original, wooden, Heddon Zaragossa. But don't have any I want to get wet.
Good luck Greg Wisniewski

·
Registered
94 Posts
Definitely, some days, the topwater is THE way to go.
I love using a pop-r type bait, buzz bait and twitching a rapala on top when the timing is right. Haven't spent enough time developing a spook method, though.
Occasionally, my problem is (and this may be true for others) trying to force the use of these baits under conditions that are not conducive.
Develop your own methods and confidence. The topwater can be a blast or frustrating, whatever you make of it. Good luck.

Tim J. (aka topwater1)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try it more then i do. Do you find it better to fish top water on overcast days verses sunny days. And should it be calm or is it better with a chop in the water

·
Registered
97 Posts
Topwaters are very effective for Muskie, particularly during low light conditions.
Muskie Jitterbugs, Cherry Twists, and Slammers all work well. Mister Twister Top Props (the Muskie sized ones) make great baits for pulling them out of the slop where trollers fear to tread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.