Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this past year on lsc, i used a regular zara spook and only would catch around 1 out of 4 or 5 strikes. so, i switched to a super spook because it has 3 treble hooks instead of just 2 that the regular spook has, thinking that would solve my problem. it did help a little bit, but i am still only hooking 1 out of 3 fish at best. when i am in a tournament, and i am only catching 1 out of 3 strikes, it is killing me. what should i do to help with this problem? there are many different variables that may be wrong. i may need different line, different hooks, different rod, or just set the hook at the right time. anyways, any help would be appreciated. thanks, derrek

·
Registered
232 Posts
On LSC I only use Super Spooks. Loosing fish on them is normal. You've gotta do everything you can to put the odds in your favor. I replace all the hooks on mine. Mustad Triple Grips are my fav. I have also experimented with different line type, but don't have a favorite yet. Be patient with you hookset, and alway leave the bait out there after a miss. Smallies will strike again, and again.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
What kind of line are you using. Try the Pop-R

Don't set till you feel the fish

h2o<---says try keeping your rod tip touching the water, than sweep set

·
Registered
927 Posts
this is just an opinion, but the spook itself might be too big for the fish mouth.

remember smallmouth are called so for a reason.

a spook is a pretty big bait, so the fish might be coming up from under to nab it, but hitting it side ways.

im not saying that others dont do very well on spooks, and i want to stress that this is only my opinion. but i used to love to throw spook jrs for largemouth. in 2001 i really started to key in on smallmouth and how they differ from the greens.

i love to catch any fish on top ( who doesnt ) but i was having problems landing smallies on spook jrs. i started fishing the spitting image and have had way better hook ups. the bait is smaller and different shape, but you can still walk the dog with it. its a great top water bait, give it a shot.

disclaimer: i am not knocking the spook. i love spooks, but i like smaller baits for smaller mouths

pop r's are great too, but i cant walk the dog with them like zell

madman himself

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
OK a secret, virtually everything they eat has a slime coating on it. So put a liquid scent on it as this not only gives them taste and smell it puts a slime coating on it. And makes them hold on just a bit longer just enough to get some hooks in them.

h2o<---says madmans right smaller baits, experiment

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
What the heck!!!!!!

I think with top water your trying to make your bait look wounded. So here comes the PATIENCE. I find i do alot better the slower i work the bait. See a wounded fish doesn't split across the water very fast, so what helps them hit better is a SLOW retrieve, i'm talking 2minutes per cast now that's PATIENCE!!!

The faster you move it cause's alot of misses. You pull the lure away from the fish. Here's a example. You got a fly on a table and you go to hit it with the newspaper pow you got it. Now try and hit a fly that's buzzing around the room. Whats easier.

Now that's not when there smashing like crazy but that's not always the case.

h2o<---says SLOW THAN SLOWER THAN SLOWEST 2 min. pop wait pop wait pop wait.. PATIENCE*********

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nitroderrek, A original spook is one of my favorite smallmouth baits. The biggest help in hooking and landing fish has been adding 2 o-rings to each treble. This lets the bait completly rotate when the fight occures. I don't throw the smaller spook much, The main reason I throw a spook is for better Quality, not Quantity. Hope this helps. Z

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I know some that will add a 3rd hook to the belly of a regular spook. I don't think it is neccessary and will cause hook tangles if you don't use the right size hooks.

One thing I do is replace all my hooks with larger Gami's (I can't recall the size of the top of my head). Especially the rear hook. I also add a split ring as Mark suggest, but never tried 2. Sounds like a winner though.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
60 percent of your misses is because you have not waited until you feel the weight of the fish. Zara Spooks are great top water baits. Madman 24 Please believe me no Zara spook is to big for a Smallmouth Bass They can inhale a Super Shad out of sight. I have a client that will swear to that. H20 is right you have to work them very slow but not always as with any spieces of fish there are times they want their food moving faster. Sometimes it is better to twitch it and let the rings settle and then twitch it again. It is slow but it works. Good subject Top Water. Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts