Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There you are on the lake and off to the left you see a explosion on the surface and catch a glimps of a fish. You stay quite but your body is loud with excitement. OH MY!!! Its' time for topwater. What can i say besides you have to really be into it like nothing else, because it takes PATIENCE like nothing else. You have to stay FOCUSED you have to. No room for mistakes. A lot of fisherman just don't have the PATIENCE for it. But you have to. So you toss that pop-r or your choice of lure, and land your cast two feet from the just seen fish you know is there. Leave the lure there till the ripples are 15 feet from where it landed 10 seconds at least. Now comes the twitching, twitch, twitch, pop, pop. Hearts pounding sense's on high alert. And quite turns to a loud explosion he hit it. Now the hard part you have to have to HESITATE a must but so hard to do, work on that. That's the secret and it's not easy because you want to pull the rod that's your natural reaction. There lies the art of topwater. Don't pull the lure out of a open mouth. Many fish hit topwater and it doesn't have to be calm although that's my favorite time. So give it a try and it just might be your favorite way to get big fish. Also the buzz-bait is excellent require's less patience and man you can cover alot of water.

h2o<------says wait to you feel the fish than reel him home.

·
Registered
739 Posts
H20,

What type of topwater lure colors do you like for smallmouth, esp on Lake St. Clair? Also, do you like to fish flukes or other soft plastic jerkbaits? I recently acquired a copy of FLW Forest Wood Open on St. Clair from 2001?, and David Dudley was killing them on flukes.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
As he mentioned Pop-R's are an all time favorite as are Zara Spooks. Personally I dont think color has alot to do with it as long as the belly is the right color (if that makes any sense).

Flukes and other soft jerkbaits are awesome on Clair for smallmouth. Keep in mind the video you saw of Dudley was right outside of the mouth of the Black Creek (entrance to Metro) and he was catching mostly re-treads (term for fish already causght and released in a tournament). There are MANY more places on the lake to catch smallmouth on soft jerkbaits. My favorite is a Bass Pro Shops XPS Twin Tailed Shad in Baby Bass or Albino Shad. The watermelon one works well to. If you head to Bass Pro Shops in March (13 & 14) come catch my seminars, I always talk about soft jerkbaits.

Click here for more info on Bass Pro Shops Spring Sale

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Just as mini says,, Pop R's, zara, there all good really, the strike comes from reaction the fish thinks there's a injured meal just asking to take me and it's easy for the fish to get a meal that way meaning there not chasing the fish and getting tired, I don't think color really matters but I do change the hooks sometimes if I think the one that comes with the lure is not of high standards. Eagle claw laser's are super sharp but don't last long, along with a host of other premium one's. Ultra sharp hooks are a biggie. Top water is a fantastic exciting way to fish, it covers a spectrum of added senerios to fishing period.

h2o<---says remember patience, and wait till you feel the fish.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Feb 3 2004, 11:10 AM)...Personally I dont think color has alot to do with it as long as the belly is the right color (if that makes any sense)....

Classic quote from a fishermen!

Topwaters are fun and productive. But man can they be frustrating sometimes!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Have you guys tried Lucky Craft Sammys for topwater yet? I recently spent $30 for 2, which is ridiculous since I could have got 8 Pop-R's or Zara Spooks for the same price. One musky and my $15 lure will be bye,bye!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts