Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did it!! I got rid of the Compaq/iPaq $500.00 best in class and bought the good old fashioned paper Franklin Planner. Hate the computerized jobbies they do nothing for me. You can't take proper notes and you can't save the old copies in nice binders on your desk for the life of a program. I give up on the damn things, they are more of a problem than they are worth and I can't organize squat!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I know man, I'm about to do the same thing. Besides the Palms, we've got Outlook, Lotus Notes and various other scheduling and calendar programs, but when it gets right down to it we all go back to the planner and meet in a hallway and compare dates and notes...Stop the madness, somebody pick a system and call me when you decide

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Kill a Tree.......There is just no beating good ol` fashiond paper...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I HATE mine! We just gave a $700.00 HP away. This thing was loaded with all the goodies. It used your thumb print instead of a pass word. Anyway, I use my Franklin planner as well. The Palm was only good for phone #'s. They are also nice to sit and play with while you are in really boring meetings or on a conference call

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(manana @ Dec 9 2003, 03:38 PM)They are also nice to sit and play with while you are in really boring meetings or on a conference call
So they do have other uses??

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Agreed,
I'm sitting here staring at my iPaq that I no longer even take with me... Give me a Mont Blanc and a Franklin... The only times I take my iPaq is when I'm flying.... for the games!

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I'm with ya, but still trying to make it a go. My old system worked great, I used my planner for everything. Now, I find myself in withdrawals and less organized using a Palm.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Capt'n Rob @ Dec 9 2003, 03:50 PM)I'm with ya, but still trying to make it a go. My old system worked great, I used my planner for everything. Now, I find myself in withdrawals and less organized using a Palm.
Good luck Rob. It's so funny, I hear the same things from everyone!!

Less organized
only good for phone numbers

Pauligan, everyone I talked to today when I had it said the exact same thing. $59.00 for the starter pack and I feel better all ready.

That old thing was my bible and I really felt naked and totally lost without it. Hell I used to bring it to my girlfriends house and organize my weekends. Too damn funny.

I feel reborn!!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Can't really see the use... Cool gadget just for beaming business cards...

Not to mention if it goes down you just lost everything!!! <_<

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
I would be lost without My Ipaq. I have turned around half way to work to go home and get it a few times.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
I have had a Palm for about 3 years, and I agree that the best thing it was for me was an electronic phone book. There is no way that the calendar I had could ever be as useful as the good old Franklin. There was just never a good way to see the week or month at a glance, on a little 2" x 2" screen.

Also like Traveler said, a big disadvantage is note-taking. I have a 2"x3" Post It pad in the case with my Palm, and that holds way more info than my Palm does!

I think the best setup I've seen, is a Franklin with a Palm or Pocket PC in the front pocket. This way you can retain your note taking scratch pad and calendars, and still have your electronic phone book/gameboy nearby. Once you decide what you're going to sync your phone book up to, it works out well.

My struggle is, do I sync it up at home, or at work? I don't want my contact to be inter-twined, but I'd like to have them both. Is there a way of having multiple 'identities' on there?

--- If anybody is selling their Pocket PC, let me know! Girlie needs one for school, because many of their reference books have Handheld versions, and they need these when they start rotations.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
I've been a POCKET PC user since they came out. I love everything about them EXCEPT the calendar feature. There are quite a few aftermarket softwares that I have tried that do a better job than the standard Outlook, but still not as good as the planner. I think the best combo I had was 5 or so years ago when I would keep the calendar in my computer & printout a month at a time. I could also organize my phonebook & print it out too! Then, any updates I made to the PAPER version, I could change on my ELECTRONIC version when I had time.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I have ALWAYS had a Franklin. True since 1992!!! I even have and still use the same multi ring binder thingy. It's showing it's age, but I still proudly pull it outa by briefcase!! Personally, I cannot deal with the tiny screen, all the tapping, and generally not being able to write a simple sentence. And being an engineer, to sketch a drawing. You know, that drawing on a napkin kind of thing!!

Until "they" make an 8 1/2 by 11 screen that I can write/draw on, with true handwriting recognition software, I won't be interested. Give me a piece of lead to write on some tree bark with over the fancy, yet not user friendly electronic gizmos any day.

I gotta cell phone for storing all the phone/fax numbers I need.

my $0.02

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(damn yankee @ Dec 9 2003, 06:56 PM)Until "they" make an 8 1/2 by 11 screen that I can write/draw on, with true handwriting recognition software, I won't be interested. Give me a piece of lead to write on some tree bark with over the fancy, yet not user friendly electronic gizmos any day.

I gotta cell phone for storing all the phone/fax numbers I need.

my $0.02
Sounds like you are ready for a Tablet PC!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I'm old school too - I live by my calendar that is taped on my fridge and daily appointments I tape to my coffee pot handle the night prior to.
Post-it's fall off and get lost - a ripped piece of paper with some scotch tape works for me every time.

Also, my personal assistant is my own answering maching. I often will call my house and leave messges for myself when I think of something when I am driving or away from the home.

Call me silly, but it works for me.

Well, you can just call me silly nevertheless anyways

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Capt'n Mike - Looking to sell this iPaq for about $250.00 It originally was a best in class cost me $599.00. Only problem is it needs a new pointer thingy- daughter lost mine. It's got all the bells and whistles and somewhere in the memory it has some phone numbers and addresses to some pretty hot eastern european and German Chickas!!!

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(traveler @ Dec 10 2003, 10:56 AM)Capt'n Mike - Looking to sell this iPaq for about $250.00 It originally was a best in class cost me $599.00. Only problem is it needs a new pointer thingy- daughter lost mine. It's got all the bells and whistles and somewhere in the memory it has some phone numbers and addresses to some pretty hot eastern european and German Chickas!!!
Post or PM me the model. Pointer thingy's aren't hard to come by, but hot eastern european and German Chickas.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts