Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say that ant are the strongest for their size. Obviously, the biggest fish fight the most, but ounce per ounce who fights best? I think Gill's fight pretty good for their size.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Pound for pound, the Smallmouth bass. Also the steelhead it's a toss up. Now that's freshwater.
Hardest fighting course fish would be the Barbel.
Ounce for Ounce, yes, battling, bluegill.

h2o<---says that's what i think.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I`d have to go with `gills too. Just too bad they don`t get 10lbs. LOL

·
Registered
397 Posts
QUOTE(Czar @ Mar 20 2004, 02:17 PM)I`d have to go with `gills too. Just too bad they don`t get 10lbs. LOL

That's why we have 4' rods and 4lb line.

I'm sure most of us learned to fish for bluegills as kids and they are why we're so addicted today. We have to give them little buggers credit where credit is due.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
A two pound Gill will outfight a 2 pound smallie. Thats my two bucks worth. Bob

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's a tough one...Smallies are a blast, but my greatest battles of the last couple of years have been with the mighty carp...

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
The mighty course fish the Carp are a blast on lighter equipment, remind me of salmon. Battles can last over 1/2 hour with total distruction of one's arm. I can battle those babies all day.

h2o<--will be going for carp soon.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
OK Try a 20 pound Red Snapper (built like a Bluegill) and then tell me ounce per ounce the the Gill is not stronger that the Carp. Bob Not trying to argue but on light tackle that little Blue devil can fight.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Also Mike asked the question the toughest for their size and I think that makes the gill # 1 Mt 2 cents or whatever.. Bob

·
Registered
790 Posts
The Peacock Bass. This is the most ferocious fighting fish pound for pound that I have ever come across. Yes they can be fairly large, but, they are defiantly one of the toughest fighters that I have caught. The can destroy your tackle in a heartbeat and the start jumping the second they are hooked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
what about a pirahhna?
keep your fingers away from there mouth!
a friend of mine wants to know what you guys think about muskie versus salmon?

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Can't compare Salmon are strong long runs and Muskie either smashes the lure or hangs it up in the weeds. The one difference I have notice are that Salmon are kinda dumb. They get in the net open their mounth and the lure falls out. Never happen with a Muskie the first thing they do is open their mouth and try to get rid of that thing in their mouth.
Bob

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I've never recovered from the old In-Fisherman article about the top 10 toughest fish. If it wasn't for the incredible cost and fear of foreign devils and disease, I'd love to try for those Guinea bass and the mighty Mahseer.

The Guinea bass is a combination peacock bass/bluegill that lives in dense jungle streams packed with large snags. It's get over 20 to maybe 40 pounds (no one is really sure), and knows how to and has the strength to use every deadfall and logjam against you. They're somewhere in New Zealand and surrounding parts.

The mighty Mahseer is basically a giant carp minnow (80 pounds or more) that lives in boulder strewn, high-speed rivers in northern India and nearby, if I remember right. Think 'saltwater' carp/tarpon cross.

If you're going to think powerful (and not saltwater from everything I've heard - all I've mainly caught are croakers in my extremely limited saltwater experience), might as well really grasp the ring... come to think of it, there's the Beluga sturgeon...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
"Topo" the S&T Smallmouth,......meanest SOB that ever lived,.....has never been caught,..never will be!!...Has broken more hearts than a prom queen and he's the only fish that "Spinecrusher" (BTW-...nice avatar Skie-bum!!
) will swim away from!!

You can keep your Guinea Bass and Beluga Sturgeon......because when you hook into "Topo"..you might as well just throw your arms up like a French Soldier,...you're goin' to the store for new gear!!

Mac

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Mac @ Mar 23 2004, 06:36 AM)
"Topo" the S&T Smallmouth,......meanest SOB that ever lived,.....has never been caught,..never will be!!...Has broken more hearts than a prom queen and he's the only fish that "Spinecrusher" (BTW-...nice avatar Skie-bum!!
) will swim away from!!

You can keep your Guinea Bass and Beluga Sturgeon......because when you hook into "Topo"..you might as well just throw your arms up like a French Soldier,...you're goin' to the store for new gear!!

Mac
Thats right...thats EXACTLY right!! LOL

Mini

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What was I thinking???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts