Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent Club Tournament 3 boats were late for check in and Tounament start time . Does the Boat/Boaters that made check in and offical start time leave the dock , or wait for the rest of the club to show up ?

How long would you wait ?

Should there be any Penalty's or DQ's ?

Thanks in advance for any input !!

·
Registered
927 Posts
i have only been fishing tourneys for 2 years. but when i was with nbaa last year it was a dq if you are late.

i am fishing the aba this year, and its the same thing. aba is a smaller club as it is in its first year, but most of the guys in the club are connected. so if someone is running late, we would call them on a cel phone and find out where they are. if they are close, we will wait.

if someone shows up after the pre tournament meeting, they are dq'd.

madman himself

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been fishing in a club for over ten years and have been president of a 20 man club during the last five. Our officers have worked hard at setting by-laws and rules that would best fit our club. These rules and bylaws have evolved over the past 5 years and are designed for the structure of our group. The members also know they are enforced. That may sound harsh, but it keeps everyone on the same playing field, avoiding the chance of playing favorites.

Yes there are times when descretion on an issue must be present, but it always works inside the boundries of our rules.

The question is what kind of club do you chose to run and do all the anglers agree with the direction that is set. If all that is understood going in, then issues or surprises should be limited on the day of a tournament.

I can tell you one thing, clubs are not easy to run, but I would not change a minute of the hardships for the fun times we have had.

Good Luck!

George T

·
Registered
666 Posts
We leave em. It is there responsiblity to get there on time. Now, we do allow them to fish, but first they must find another club memeber on the lake and have them check the livewells. That can be difficult on large lakes like St. Clair or Erie, but they do what they must.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I'm a boater and someone is not there when it's time to blast-off, see ya.
I would not expect anyone to sit at the dock waiting for me to maybe show up.
I think our club rules state that if you are 15 minutes late for morning check in, you are DQ'ed anyway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
To address time issues specifically...our club does have poundage penalties for being late to morning check-in and the morning meeting. And if you are not there at time of launch you are DQ'd. Same thing with ending tournament check-in.

Again, some clubs run a more laxed group. This is something that should be established long before you hit the water.

George T

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with GTerrien - I have been a member of a club where we had a late problem. We instituded a point system for being 15 minutes early & stuck to our start times. If a boat was late they lost the bonus points. They could still fish but had to track down another boat to check in with. This wasn't a problem on the lakes we were fishing.

Was there a good reason that 3 boats were late? construction? and accident? Yit happens. If it happens to the same boats over and over and it is disrupting the tournament then it needs to be addressed by the rest of the club members or tourny directors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
NOW GUYS... Lets get ALL the facts straight.. It was a 4 boat tournament! The TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE did NOT get to the launch due to following someone who "Knew the way". We all were to meet at breakfast and follow to the launch. Projected time to get to launch was 5:30. (NO START WAS SET). Got lost on Tipsico Lake ROAD. 1 boat got there because they chose to be unsociable and NOT to go to breakfast. THEY decided to launch AND start the tournament without 3/4 of the club. A ONE BOAT TOURNAMENT!

ITs truly amazing how misleading someone can be when they want things to go their way.

The team starting without tournament committee starting the tournament wan NOT DQ'd BUY I for one thought that is quite selfish of them to not have ANY concern as to why the rest was not there on time.

AND we all waited to put in our boats until HE was there (late at last tournament!) That is the type of club we are.

·
Registered
882 Posts
hahahahahaha

That is funny.
4 boat tournament

3 boats late

1 boat starts without the rest

including tournament director

hahahahahaha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cruncherfait , please note the directions I recieved from your WIFE !!! Also you waited for NO one at the last Tourny , the fisrt Tourny we all pulled up together! As noted by our Clubs President and Tourney Director they would have not waited for me if the tide was turned !! Breakfest at Dennys Lakeside Mall....3:45-4:00 we will want to leave by 4:30 to be at launch by 5:30

Maps/directions sent to Randy .Nick are only to turn off... add driving north to launch still

·
Registered
927 Posts
stickaction,

i would strongly advise choosing your words a bit more carefully. pointing the finger at someones spouse will get you two things.

1) a bad reputation

2) a blackened eye

i understand there was some miscommunication, but lets chalk it up to that. no harm, no foul. it sounds like a very small club ( if its a club, i dotn know ) it should be very easy to work out your problems with only 4 boats.

i can contest to finding tipsico lake by taking tipsico lake road as being very difficult. i know a much easier way. two roads, 3 turns and your there.

now quit all the nonsense, just fish, let this one go. my opinion is dont cry over spilt milk, unless it becomes a habit.

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't know what to think here...a 4 boat tournament, one boat is there "on time" while 3 are late. I personally fish tournaments for the competition. I don't see how competetive a one boat tourney is...LOL. Each situation is different, let the situation dictate the appropriate action (whether it is a DQ, weight penalty, etc.).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm not sure you could call 4 boats a "gathering" much less a club. But handling a problem with 4 boats should be no problem...

Just make a rule as listed above....

CKev

·
Registered
927 Posts
this raises an intersting question.

if there are only 4 boats, and 3 are late......and lets just say they get dq'd, then the one boat that did make it on time wins, right? well, if there are only 4 boats, and 3 get dq'd, what is won? someone help me out with this one.

madman himself

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, if there were only 4 boats and I was the only one on time I would wonder if the launch site was changed due to weather or other reasons. We have done that. In fact, we typically schedule a Sat/Sun tournament with the plan on flipping the two lakes should weather require it.

I guess I would still ask why were three boats late? We have done that, changed launch sites in the morning and drove from lake A to Lake B. One group of vehicles make it in time and the other is late because the other half made a wrong turn.

If the meeting was to be held during breakfast, then it seems that the one boat at the launch was the one out of order. Very confusing here with the limited information available to us.

But, if it were me I would have still gone fishing and not worried. Club event or not, fishing beats working.

·
Registered
53 Posts
And Stickbait... If you would read my post you would see that you need NOT attack My husband. My name is clearly visible at the bottom of each of my posts! It was a projected time for us to be there... and it didn't say" If we are late- start without us" (we were there at 6:09)..

Maybe if you weren't so fustrated that a woman is higher in the points standings than you, maybe you wouldn't feel the need to get "extra" fishing time as a handicap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts