Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To call off a tournament.
This past weekend we had winds of 40 MPH Plus.
Personally I can't believe anyone would venture out into the big water and try
to catch a tournament bag of fish in waves that run 7ft plus in a Bass Boat that measure's 20 Feet. unsure:

I know if I was there in Saginaw Bay this weekend I would thought to myself, what in the hell are you doing.
Is a couple of Bucks worth my life, or anyone elses.

It must be a tough job to be a tournament director, he or she has the fate of the anglers in their hands.
So what determines the decision to continue tournament as planned or call it off for another day?

Whats your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The choice was left with us, Joe. Doug said he wanted us all to stay in the bay, but did add that we are grown men and we should be safe and decide what it is worth to us.

I NEEDED the money, that and the numerous 5 pounders we saw the day before fueled us to go. We didnt stay long and we did get back safely.

That was as close to cancel conditions I have seen.
Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
That is a tough call and I have to give Doug credit for his decisions so far this year. Our second tournament in Sandusky he delayed the take of for 1hr+ to ensure the thunder storms that were moving through had passed. This last tournament he opened up the host marina for everyone in hopes that we would stay in. Normally this area is closed. The decision to stay or go is up to us as we are all grown men and know the concequences. But Doug did plead with us all to stay.

My opinion is as long as there ample water for all particpants to fish without having to endanger themselves the tournment should not be called off. And that was the case last weekend. There was ample water that was protected from the wind for us all to fish in Wind Fowl Bay and the connecting canals. Would it make for a more exciting tournament if it was post-poned for better conditions? Of course. But if every tournament was postponed till the sun was shinning and the there was less than 10mph winds, we would never fish. At least not in Michigan.

Weather is a huge factor in tournament fishing. It is a factor everyone must account for. We saw the report for Saturday and we completely threw out the idea going to the Charities or any other place of distance in practice. We built a game plan around practicing areas we knew we could safely travel to and from given our level of navigational skills. It is something that I am the most proud of in our victory. That is not to say we did not have a rough ride. But it is up to each team to determine their level of skill and experience in handling those situations and game plan accordingly. I would never willing put myself in a position that I did not feel I could handle. No check is ever worth risking your well being.

I know Doug and Bernadette were very concerned with our well being. I could see it on there faces as we accounted for everyone through out the day. Like I said they asked us all to stay in the shelter of the canals and adjacent bay. It was up to us to determine what to do. That's tournament fishing.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me make this perfectly clear.
I am not trying to take any shots here.
There is no doubt that Doug and Bernadette where concerned, they are both caring people.
I am simply trying to understand at what point does the tournament director call off a tournament due to weather.
What determanite does BASS, FLW, Everstart and BFL adhere to.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I hear ya and didn't take it that way. Maybe in my tone it was percieved that way, not my intent.

I don't know if there are any hard and fast rules (winds excedding a certian mph or t-storms). I think each needs to be treated differently per my guidline above. But that is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Plain and simple. its a judgement call.

When the BASS Northern Divisional fished Clair a few years back, the first day was cancelled. 30 MPH gusts and 4+ footers. The second day was worse, and they fished.

It really depends on the situation and current conditions AND anglers involved.....every day is different just as it is in the weather. No "cut and dry rules". I have heard alot of directors claim that if there is small craft advisories they will go, small craft warnings they cancel.

I like the way Doug does it, but that was as close to being a "shoulda" (cancelled tournament) as I want to see again. I am sure if there were t-storms and tornadoes, he would have kept us on shore.

Kyle had a good thought.....25 bux a man, 25 casts in the host marina.....biggest 5 win.

Mini

·
Registered
927 Posts
7 footers???? i cant even imagine what that would look like. i will say that when i initially read it, the first thing that came to mind was the part in the movie "a perfect storm" when mark whalberg is floating in the water watching the ship sink in 30 foot waves. i gotta do this at least once.

madman himself

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Keep fishing big waters and you will see conditions that will make you see God....I did Saturday. In relative terms, it was close to a perfect strom as I ever want to get in a bass boat.

Mini

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just my thought on this topic when is it too much. I took a vacation day to fish drove 180 mi to get their spent lots of money. I feel my self as a well-seasoned boater and realize that the water don't care who it takes as it's next victim.
The Bay had sheltered areas to fish, and other areas were open to fish. Those that venture to the big water it was their decision not the tournament director's decision, that was up to the boat owner and his partner should we or shouldn't we make the trip. All were told that conditions were not favorable to make the Big run but you all are big boys. My feelings if there is a place to get out of the wind why not fish. But if there is lighting lets wait until it goes by. I stayed in the bay caught 20 to 25 Largemouth and had a good time I'm glad I didn't get sent home.
Mike
www.erieanglers.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is interesting seeing I just came from the Stratos Regional this weekend out of Sandusky and they made the decision to close the lake off for both Saturday and Sunday's competition. We had to stay in the bay below the the light houses between Marblehead and Cedar Point. Even with that we had swamped boats, myself included. I thought the decision was perfect for Saturday. Sunday could have been a toss up. Obviously, many were not happy with the decision, but Stratos leaned more to the safety side with their second day choice.

I know the term "grown men" is being used, but there is NO tournament worth losing your life over. None.

Sorry John, but I think most of us would rather have you around safe and broke, then dead and rich.

Calling a tournament is always a tough decision and it does leave the question, When is it unsafe?

The RCL went out of Port Clinton on Saturday. They shortened their tournament day to end at noon. Even with that, a competitor sunk his 622 Ranger in 7 footers. Fortunetly, he was rescued with know serious injury.

My thought on the Sandusky decision....in Bay there was plenty of room for all 130 boats to fish. Sure it was not for the large 5 & 6 pounders on Erie, but it was still a tournament, with everyone having to catch fish to win. 30lbs actually won the two day event. At least we didn't get sent home.

I am just glad to see everyone made it home safe. That is what is important and kudos go out to all directors and club directors that make these tough calls. I know we always want the fisherman to have the choice, but sometimes that is tough to call. Let's hope we start getting some nicer weather around here and we won't have to worry about these kind of decisions.

George T

·
Registered
243 Posts
We had a tournament a couple weeks ago at Sandusky Bay with the same kind of conditions. 2-4' inside the Bay and 7-9' on the main lake.

We thought about calling it but decided to go through with it anyways.

The tournament director should not be responsible for the competitors safety. It is ultimately the choice of the competitor on where and how they drive their boats.

Just a side note, there was an angler that lost his rig and had to be rescued by the coast guard near Kelly's Island this weekend.

·
Registered
718 Posts
When the area you are fishing has life threatning winds, waves or lightning!

Wild Fowl Bay is part of Saginaw Bay, this is where we had our tournament. This area is protected by Sand Point and was never too dangerous to fish. Outside Sand Point there wasn't 7 footers, they were 9's and 10's!

I have owned a place on the bay for about 20 years and have fished and hunted it more than everyone that was there except for 1 man. I warned the anglers and urged them to stay in the Bay. Those that went out of my wishes, did so for various reason. I can't justify any of the reasons, but I'm not in there shoes. I respect their decisions as I hope they all respect mine as their Tournament Director! Everyone made it back safe and I hope every boat and non-boat owner learned many lessons. The valuable lessons that could save their life in the future. Dave, Alex's partner said it plain and simple; I trust Alex, he wouldn't do anything to harm us. I trust Alex because he has a beautiful little girl at home that needs him more than the fish!

All the Angler's learned what there limits were and what really was important. Alex and Dave never expected to win with 15 pounds of fish, they did expect to make it back. That was theirs and many other teams only expectation, just make it back.

Doug

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(GTerrien @ Jun 2 2003, 04:53 PM)Sorry John, but I think most of us would rather have you around safe and broke, then dead and rich.

Broke I am....and alive. I didnt get rich by no means, but I did defend my second place from last year.....only wished we could have had it on Friday.....we woulda won.

Mini

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doug,
very good statement!!
Mike and I talked about what we were going to do as far as the wind and our strategy, as should every one else. this is what makes a great TEAM!!
it is the teams decision as to what they are going to do.
no one had to go out to the big water....it was their decision.
granted it wasnt a pretty sight out there....but fishing around and in the bay is still fishing, and safe. no reason to call the tournament.
i think you are doing a great job with your meetings before EVERY tournament....it is VERY OBVIOUS that SAFETY is a VERY BIG CONCERN for you, and anyone that fishes any of your tournaments knows that.
keep up the good work, and ill see you on the water.
for anyone that wants to fish a tournament that the directors PRIME CONCERN is his ANGLERS SAFETY....come join us at the GNT!! a great bunch of fellow anglers!!
thanks....><}}}*> Rick

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I agree with all of your statements.....except Mini's last one
If, then, how does that go again?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Alex @ Jun 2 2003, 10:25 PM)I agree with all of your statements.....except Mini's last one
If, then, how does that go again?
Enjoy your bday present...lol

I know shoulda coulda woulda...lol

Mini

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mini,

You're the only guy I know that might come close to the amount of tackle one man can possess as tackle store. Next time sell me some of your stuff. I would just as soon see you around! I'm not saying I like you or anything like that, we don't want the boy's to suggest that we get a room again. LOL You have no idea how sick we were when we heard 4 boats made a run. I do have faith in your partners driving ability as well as others but, you know as well as I do.....what can go wrong ..WILL!

Give me a call when you get a chance, I need to talk to you about this weekend. Bernadette and I want to make you two are taken care of and I think our room has a kitchenette. FOOOOOD! It might save you a dollar or two.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts