Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUOTEWith some of the crap I see out there I like to see them (Coast Guard) (unless I am running back to the weigh-in).

This was part of a post in the boathouse and I had to ask. Has anyone been stopped by the coast guard or sheriff while running into a tournament weigh in? Does it happen? I know some of the tourneys have a lot of money at stake so whats the golden rule? That would suck to miss a weigh in because you got stopped and boarded...after a serious investment. What do you do? Does the law not stop bass boats?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes I have been stopped but all I can say is you better not break the law coming in...Like stay off shore far enough and watch speed by other boats. They know we run with life vests on so if you be cool they are usually cool.

O' and I told them we where fishing a tournament and they said so...show me your stuff. We made it back just in time. No ticket.

ToddS

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Yea, we don't get a special pass from the Coast Guard just because we have shiny boats and we're in a hurry.

I gotta say though, in the fifteen years I've been fishing tournaments I've never left enough time running back to account for getting stopped by the CG. That could really ruin your day.

Maybe Esoxfly (CG) will see this and chime in. Do they make it a point of not stopping boats underway at speed? Probably not. I would think that any vessel out there is open to inspection at anytime.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I have been pulled over and boarded in a tournament on my way to the weigh-in before. I made it back just in time. Not that it was a big tournament or anything....but none the less we are boaters out there and can be boarded at anytime.

Funny thing was, the boat had a CG Auxilliary Sticker on it. I had been told that they wont board or stop you if the sticker is on the boat. I asked when I was stopped and they told me it means nothing. There was no real reason to stop me, they were just doing a safety check. They were very cordial, polite and thorough....I thinked em for it and busted a$$ to get back.

The tournament we held on the off week of the Tue Night NBAA there was a team that was stopped and boarded. They asked to eb excused for being late because of it, I said sorry. Late is late.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.