Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Good thing I signed up for that unlimited towing. Was out on the jet ski today in the S. Channel cut off and the motor took a crap. I just rebuilt it this spring and now the front cylinder went. It was so rough out that the pelican case I had holding me and my buddies cell phone broke open and I guess they were flopping around in the front compartment and both got wet from all the water we were taking with that south wind. Well both of our phones took a crap, luckily, there was one boat coming that we managed to flag down (the only boat we saw in the 3 hours we were stranded). They tried giving us a tow but their engine was over heating, so they let us use a cell phone to contact tow boat U.S., which I signed up for unlimited towing at the boat show. We floated around with them for a confirmation but they were anxious to get going. I called back and it was confirmed that the tow boat was en route and about half way to our location, which was marker 43 in the Cut Off channel. The good samaritan vessel left us and we tied off the light which was marker 43, and waited. It was a good feeling when we saw the tow boat coming down the channel because other than the good samaritan vessel we didnt see one other boat the whole time we were stranded. Tow boat US was very nice and unlimited towing allowed me to be towed all the way from where we were to the North Channel near Sassy Marine which is where I keep the jet ski. Thank goodness for the good samaritan and tow boat U.S. or we could still be out there clinging to a light in the shipping channel, the tow boat captain said that tow would have cost me 600 dollars. Glad I signed up! We had a VHF radio witch broke apart in the front compartment, and two cell phones that both quit working. We sure did get lucky...We made the best of it however, it was a verry nice ride back on the tow boat!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Wow, lost power AND communication. Not good! Isolated out there, I bet the lake seemed a lot bigger.

Glad it worked out okay!

Not to go off topic, but were you in Goose Bay in your Sea Ray Saturday? I saw a boat I now realize looks like yours.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Soo Sassy @ Aug 19 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 19 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Might want to invest in a waterproof handheld VHF for the jetski.

Good advice.

Glad everything worked out okay for you

Ditto, one heck of a story.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Might want to invest in the verizon boulder water proof cell phone .

I have one and it works great, I swam to another boat a couple of

weeks ago with the phone in my pocket about 6 ft of water.

took out the phone and made a call.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Aug 19 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, lost power AND communication. Not good! Isolated out there, I bet the lake seemed a lot bigger.

Glad it worked out okay!

Not to go off topic, but were you in Goose Bay in your Sea Ray Saturday? I saw a boat I now realize looks like yours.

Nope, the Laguna is at the mechanic's with the lower unit disassembled

I do go back there frequently though, but not in the past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
996 Posts
It is definitely something you appreciate after it's first use. Glad everything turned out okay for you.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Laguna @ Aug 19 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Away Point @ Aug 19 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, lost power AND communication. Not good! Isolated out there, I bet the lake seemed a lot bigger.

Glad it worked out okay!

Nope, the Laguna is at the mechanic's with the lower unit disassembled

I do go back there frequently though, but not in the past couple of weeks.

Oh no, two boats out of commission!

Prayers sent...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts