Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would like to share with you what happened to my neighbor Jim...

On April 23rd Jim was leaving a bar in downtown Mt. Clemens. As he was leaving he heard a girl screaming. He went over to see what happened and a guy was lying on the ground after being jumped by a bunch of guys with his girlfriend frantically trying to get help. As Jim bent over to help him, he was brutallly assaulted. He was attacked from behind and beaten until he was unconscious. Jim spent about 10 days in the hospital with severe head injuries. At this time he is doing well, is recovering at home, and facing possible brain surgery at a later date. Jim does not have medical insurance.

His family is holding a fundraiser this Sat. May 22nd. Anyone who is interested is welcome to come, and all donations big or small are greatly appreciated.

Fundraiser is at:

Mt. Clemens Rec Bowl
Saturday, May 22nd at 4:00
Tickets are $10.00 at the door and include dinner
(pasta, salad, rolls & dessert)

A 50/50 raffle will be will take place every hour & prizes include free lawn service for 1 month, golf packages and lots more!

If you can't make it to the fundraiser, but would still like to donate:

Contributions can be made to:
Jim Fennell Hospital Fund
C/O Citizens State Bank
51066 Washington St.
New Baltimore, MI 48047

On a personal note... My heart goes out to Jim and his family. They are great people and it is unfortunate they are going through this. What makes this situation most devastating is at the time of the attack, Jim was simply trying to help someone and it truly saddens me that he was paid back with such brutality. Thank you all so much in advance
!!!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i will donate:
-a gift certif from jack's for dinner for their raffle
-i will include the info in a mass email to my 'peeps' to see if they will attend to get the word out
-a basket of cheer for the raffle from me
-get me the info and i could possible pass it on to publications in the area. i can at least try.

let me know how i can go about doing all this, em. and our thoughts and prayers are with him.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
You are both so generous, that's great!
Even though I know the generosity of our peeps, I am still taken aback by your huge hearts and willingness to help others!

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
we do what we can for whom we can.
that's our nature.

and hope we can bring justice,too.... that's always nice!

also, jack's will host a fundraiser of ANY sort for thier family. have them get ahold of me and we'll get it set up, no prob!
we raised a bunch for amielou... we can do the same.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
Why don't we do a raffle at the party ???

Also, if I am allowed, I will post this at the Chamber of Commerce.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ May 17 2004, 10:38 PM)-get me the info and i could possible pass it on to publications in the area. i can at least try.

let me know how i can go about doing all this, em. and our thoughts and prayers are with him.
We don't know if the family has already contacted some publications about this or not. Emily will try to get the families phone number tomorrow evening.

Thank you CK!

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Here's an article about Jim, from May 4;

QUOTESamaritan Badly Beaten While Trying To Stop Fight
Family Describes Beating Victim As Peacekeeper

POSTED: 7:44 pm EDT May 4, 2004
UPDATED: 8:26 pm EDT May 4, 2004

A local Samaritan was badly beaten when he rushed to stop a group of people attacking another man.

Jim Fennell, 26, was taken to Mount Clemens General Hospital with a fractured skull and a brain injury from a fight that occurred around 2 a.m. on April 23.

Fennell and his girlfriend, Marisa Suhy, were walking along Walnut Street outside three popular nighttime hangouts when they witnessed several people kicking a man who appeared to be unconscious, Local 4 reported.

"This guy was gonna die in front of us. This guy needed someone to help and if you're raised properly, if you have morals, if you have human decency, what are you going to do except stop it?" said Suhy.

When the couple attempted to break up the fight, Fennell was attacked, according to the station's reports.

"This one guy just kept on kicking," said Suhy.

Fennell was on life support for several days following the attack. His condition has been upgraded to serious, but he is rarely awake, the station reported.

"He's such a nonviolent person that I couldn't understand how something could have happened to him because he's always stopping other people from being upset. He's always the peacekeeper," said his mother, Lynn Fennell.

Local 4 learned there was another Samaritan that stopped Fennell's attacker from escaping the scene. He reportedly followed the man to the parking lot and stood in front of his car.

"He began to drive a little forward towards me. I took a couple more steps back, tried to still hold the car up. The one individual came over to the car, asked me if I would like to die," said the man, who asked to remain anonymous.

Mount Clemens police arrested a 22-year-old man (pictured, right) and charged him with assault. There was no word on if police were pursuing others involved in the attack.

Fennell had been working as a radio disc jockey. His future is now said to be uncertain.

Copyright 2004 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Fully story, pictures, and video here;

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Dinner before the Tin Fish sounds good to me....if some peeps are going to go I'll join as long as I'm able to.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I am pretty sure that I am the least financially able here, so if I can donate something. I challenge you peeps to match me. The average boat that I survey is about 30 ft. That's 300 dollars. I know there are some several hundred thousand doller earners out there. This guy could have been any one of us. I challenge you to match my $300.00.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ May 18 2004, 05:45 PM)This guy could have been any one of us.
This is what I keep thinking, Al. It's so close to home, and the guy is my age.

Great points!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thanks everybody you are so great!!! AL and CK you are so wonderful!!!

Rerun- Mike and I are going, you are more than welcome to meet up with us at the fundraiser!

Laney feel free to post it w/the Chamber of Commerce. I am sure that will be a BIG help. Thanks so much!

EVERYONE your support is wonderful and I know it so very much appreciated by Jim's family!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts