Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know when it's time to replace your trailer bearings? I think I need to do my rear axle, there not holding grease as long as usual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I repack mine every fall. I usually will check them again before heading off for a big trip. Unfortunately I had a bearing buddy fall off a few weeks ago and after traveling 100 miles at 75mph everything was fried. So no matter what you do sometimes they fail. lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Alex the best way to tell if your bearings need to be replaced is to remove them and clean them with sometype of solvent. Once you have them clean look at the races and the roll part of the bearing. If they are bad you will notice some discoloration or burn marks on them. I would almost bet that your problem is that the grease seal is bad. Letting the grease escape. You should be replacing the seals at least once a year with all the travel and fishing yo do.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Alex it sure sounds like your bearing seals are worn out this is very common with the problem your having. This project is simple to do and doesn't cost alot... take one out and take it with you to insure there the same. All you do is tap the new ones in gentle. Ask when you get the new one's and Take care of this so grease doesn't fly all around the bearing area... Hope this helped and do it soon as water might get in there and contaminate your grease... It's really easy to do... h2o

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's got to be done. No more putting it off. Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts