Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pacific crossing

In the doldrums…..

Well we finally got underway on Monday after a week of preparation. We and the yacht (Kay-Tee) are now at 5 00 N and 08 47 W. We will cross the equator in a couple of days, where we will also rendezvous with the Galapagos Islands.

Preparations for the voyage was a pretty serious matter as we had to take into account all eventualities, plenty of food, beer and oh yes …….water, after spending much cash at various Panamanian supermarkets we decided we were ready, then the third member of the team decided he did not want to make the voyage and buggered off back to England, so here we are just 2 of us.

The weather at present is not for sailing vessels, we are in the doldrums, a large area of calm yet unpredictable weather, with hardly any wind, 7 knots at present. Our speed is a measly 5.6 knots (imagine jogging 4300 miles?).

This is my first time sailing, and thus far am enjoying it thoroughly. Early this morning we saw sharks and whales and started trying to catch some fish, no luck yet but I think we'll have a nice fat tuna soon. Talking about food, due to unforeseen delays we provisioned somewhat early and purchase many vacuum packed veggies, then we found we had no room for them in the fridge/freezer and had to store them in one of the vacant cabins, this morning I went into the cabin and found that the vacuum packs had expanded to the size of footballs and were ready to pop, so we had to make an offering to the sharks.

Life on a sailing boat is much different to that on a motor yacht, electricity and water has to be used sparingly, no A/C on this one, but so far I'm having a good time, and it is loaded with electronics. Tomorrow we will install a GPS tracking system that will enable anyone to see exactly where we are and we have internet and telephone via satellite.

It is only the third day of thirty and the yacht owner and I have had a bet on who will go insane first (I will let you know who wins).

Take care all and I will try to keep you posted.

Regards,

John.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Great post Merlin!!! Be sure to keep us updated this stuff is great. I remember reading all about the doldrums in Dawn Reily's book on the round the world race. Talk about boring...they were in a sail boat race thru them.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
thanks for the update John ~ sounds very adventurous!

Keep us posted and send lots of pics

Good luck fishing too - lord knows what kind of monsters you'll catch down there.

Shannon

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(-Merlin- @ May 6 2004, 12:35 AM)Talking about food, due to unforeseen delays we provisioned somewhat early and purchase many vacuum packed veggies, then we found we had no room for them in the fridge/freezer and had to store them in one of the vacant cabins, this morning I went into the cabin and found that the vacuum packs had expanded to the size of footballs and were ready to pop, so we had to make an offering to the sharks.
Vegetarian sharks??

Sounds like a lot of fun down there.

·
Registered
737 Posts
UPDATE

Well we arrived in the Galapagos islands yesterday. We had decided we were not going to stop here and go straight to Polynesia, but we have a torn Genoa sail and had to get it repaired. The trip from Panama was fun, apart from the fact that we did not have good winds and this led us to taking 8 days to make the trip.

The Galapagos islands are amazing, last night my friend and I went out and tied one on, after 8 days at sea we needed to. We will remain here now until Wednesday when we will receive our newly repaired sail. We are planning on doing some day tours for the next few days around the Islands, and hopefully catch some of its incredible wildlife, which includes sperm whales, killer whales, whale sharks, seals, penguins, flightless cormorants and not to forget the giant tortoises, if you have seen "Master and Commander you will get the idea.

Our next leg is the Marqueses Islands in French Polynesia, some 4000 miles from here and about an 18-20 day sail. My friend has asked me to stay on until Thailand, but that means I would be gone until Christmas, and miss the glorious summer in the lakes..............what do you think?

We have finally installed the "Marine Track" device, so tomorrow I will post the login information and you will be able to see where we are (updated 4 times a daily).

Take care all and I will try to post tomorrow.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way!

I did manage to catch a big fat Tuna and the follwing day a nice Wahoo, we beer battered it and had "fish and chips", I am British don´t forget.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Here is the Marinetrack information:

Go to the login section and enter the details below.

User name: u_john

password: john

I believe that only one login per instance is allowed, so be patient.

it works pretty much like mapquest you can zoom out and in and so forth. Don't expect much activity till Wed or Thurs when we leave again.

The yachts name is "Pica Flores" (soon to become "Kay-Tee")

Take care all, and toodle pip.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
totally cool John. NOW I know where you are - LUCKY DOG!!

Before I die I want to go to Belize

anyways - here's where he is.

again - LUCKY DOG <_<

is it just you traveling with the owner of the yacht?

G

·
Cool site for the tracking. It looks like you made a bit of a detour on the 11th

Sounds like quite an adventure. I think I'd sacrifice a summer here to sail across the pacific, but then again, I don't get to the equator very often.

G

·
This stuff is really cool.
Merlin, thanks a lot for doing this. You haven't forgetten about your friends on LSCN. That is definalty proven. This really means a lot for people who wish they could have done things like this in there lives. What a great way to invision what your doing. Can't wait till you come back and we are able to hear these stories in person.

(if you go to Thailand, I really want to hear those stories) LOL

I have a friend that goes there like 6-7 times a year. WOW!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ May 15 2004, 12:18 AM)Cool site for the tracking. It looks like you made a bit of a detour on the 11th

Sounds like quite an adventure. I think I'd sacrifice a summer here to sail across the pacific, but then again, I don't get to the equator very often.
The 11th was the day we installed the system and we were trying out diferent locations on the boat for the transmitter, the GPS position was indeed off that day. The unit transmits position reports through "Inmarsat".

I took some great photos of the "Galapagos Giant Tortoise" today and will try to post them as soon as I find a good connection.

There is quite a flotilla of boats getting ready to depart for Polynesia about the same day as us (Wed-Thur), and more arriving here each day. It will be good to know that maybe within VHF range or SSB we will have contact we some other peeps.

TTFN

John

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ May 6 2004, 09:56 AM)thanks for the update John ~ sounds very adventurous!

Keep us posted and send lots of pics

Good luck fishing too - lord knows what kind of monsters you'll catch down there.

Shannon
DITTO X 2

I WANT TO COME AND PLAY YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED ME TO RIDE! WHERE CAN I!!!!!!

OH NO, NO GIRLS?????
CAN I BRING ONE?

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Very cool John. Could you imagine if each one us had Marine Track on our boat? Great technology!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts