Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I went to gas the boat up and notice that my depth finder isn't operating correctly, so I took the boat and brought back to the dock. I start troubleshooting the problem, come to find out the transducer wire is missing about 6 inches starting at the water line. Now, I need to replace the transducer, but what is the solution for stopping from happening again????? Best answer wins a chicken dinner..........

·
Registered
271 Posts
QUOTE(killjoy @ Aug 12 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Okay, so I went to gas the boat up and notice that my depth finder isn't operating correctly, so I took the boat and brought back to the dock. I start troubleshooting the problem, come to find out the transducer wire is missing about 6 inches starting at the water line. Now, I need to replace the transducer, but what is the solution for stopping from happening again????? Best answer wins a chicken dinner..........

MUSKRATS !! I replaced my transducer twice in the same season. Get yourself a length of that small metal or pvc tubing that you plumb a sink or toilet with, slit it up the back and spread it apart, place your transducer cable inside, fill with silicone and pinch the tube back into shape. attach to the transom with some of those screw down cable ties with the split in the tube facing the transom. Make sure the cable comes out of the tube fairly close to the transducer and on the other end comes out as close to the hole in the transom as possible. You can bend the metal tubing for a custom fit. Never had a problem with chewed up cables after this improvised fix.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
QUOTE(wrandall @ Aug 14 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(killjoy @ Aug 12 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Okay, so I went to gas the boat up and notice that my depth finder isn't operating correctly, so I took the boat and brought back to the dock. I start troubleshooting the problem, come to find out the transducer wire is missing about 6 inches starting at the water line. Now, I need to replace the transducer, but what is the solution for stopping from happening again????? Best answer wins a chicken dinner..........

MUSKRATS !! I replaced my transducer twice in the same season. Get yourself a length of that small metal or pvc tubing that you plumb a sink or toilet with, slit it up the back and spread it apart, place your transducer cable inside, fill with silicone and pinch the tube back into shape. attach to the transom with some of those screw down cable ties with the split in the tube facing the transom. Make sure the cable comes out of the tube fairly close to the transducer and on the other end comes out as close to the hole in the transom as possible. You can bend the metal tubing for a custom fit. Never had a problem with chewed up cables after this improvised fix.

This is obviously a well thought out fix for your problem. You then go out and shoot the little bast*rd. The hollowpoints are a good call.

·
Registered
271 Posts
QUOTE(canaller @ Aug 14 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(wrandall @ Aug 14 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(killjoy @ Aug 12 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Okay, so I went to gas the boat up and notice that my depth finder isn't operating correctly, so I took the boat and brought back to the dock. I start troubleshooting the problem, come to find out the transducer wire is missing about 6 inches starting at the water line. Now, I need to replace the transducer, but what is the solution for stopping from happening again????? Best answer wins a chicken dinner..........

This is obviously a well thought out fix for your problem. You then go out and shoot the little bast*rd. The hollowpoints are a good call.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts