Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Erie don't open for Walleye until the end of May. Who knows if you can transport fish from Ohio through Michigan waters back to the Detroit River water (where it's open), if there is a closed season in on Erie in Michigan? Would the DNR say it's illegal to possess fish in waters where the season is closed?
Erie Angler

·
Registered
882 Posts
I can assure you it is illegal to have in your posession fish in an area where the season is closed.
That being said. Why would you travel all that way when you can catch all the walleye you want in the river during the Erie closed season.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MadWags
There is going to be some Walleye tournaments in the river and some of the people might be from Ohio. Yes a long run but you go where you think the fish are. And there not far from the ramp most of the time.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You can transport walleyes back from Ohio waters into Michigan by water but, and this is a big but, you cannot stop to fish in Michigan waters for any specie. If checked at the ramp, (lets say you launch from Sterling) the CO must prove you did not take the fish from Michigan waters. If he see's you fishing in Michigan waters don't have walleyes in your boat.

This is right from a DNR officer.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walleye Mike
Thank you for your info. I will be having a couple of Walleye tournaments this spring not sure of the dates yet. But if the lake is closed I want to be sure we know the right regulations, hate to see someone lose their boat. You know with the speeds of these boats now days another State is only a few minutes away. Thanks for all the help.
Mike

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE(bassslayer @ Feb 1 2004, 08:13 PM)MadWags
There is going to be some Walleye tournaments in the river and some of the people might be from Ohio. Yes a long run but you go where you think the fish are. And there not far from the ramp most of the time.
You might want to check out the boundries prior to your prefishing. I know the RCL and the MWT will be limited to the river itself.
Some of the others might make lake Erie out of bounds due to the new regulations. Which tournament are you going to fish? Maybe we can find out what the boundries will be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts