Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd let every one know that Gilbert's will be starting another league on May 18. It will be every Tuesday till mid August and you don't have to be a member or even join the league if you want to shoot.
Any one interested, just PM me and I'll get more details to ya.

(I'm also posting this one in the boat house later.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is this a singles league or doubles? I am very interested if it is a single league. How much for non-members? How do I sign up?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(tripdog7 @ May 11 2004, 10:58 AM)Is this a singles league or doubles? I am very interested if it is a single league. How much for non-members? How do I sign up?

Thanks,
Paul
it is a singles league. Here is a copy of the flier:

Gilbert's Sportsmen Club
Summer Trap League

Beginning Tuesday, May 18 at 5:30. Last shoot & league party August 17. 500 bird league - 250 16 yard wobble, 250 handicap.

Members - $5.00 per round, non-members - $6.00 per round

How the handicap yardage works: your first 3 shoots will be from the 17 yard line to establish an average. The yard line you shoot from for all future shoots will be equal to your average minus 1. The minimum yard line to shoot from will be the 17 yard line.

Example: if you establish an average of 20 from the 17 yard line, your next shoot will be from the 19 yard line.

Averages shall be re-figured every week so the yard line you shoot from could change every week.

MAXIMUM OF 100 BIRDS PER DAY

Gilbert's is located on Omo Rd. just south of 28 mile rd. in Ray twp.

I will be missing the first two shoots because of prior commitments

I am assisting in the running of the league so if you have any other questions just let me know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll be there for sure, considering I could almost walk to Gilberts. I've never shot wobble trap before, not even sure what it is.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(tripdog7 @ May 12 2004, 10:06 AM)Cool, thanks for the info. I'll be there for sure, considering I could almost walk to Gilberts. I've never shot wobble trap before, not even sure what it is.
with a wobble trap, the birds not only go left and right, but they go high and low as well. They could be as high as almost 30 ft. or as low as 3 ft. It's a real challenge. We've had that machine for three years now and I don't think any one has ever got a straight on it. My personal best is 23.
Another nice thing about our fields is voice activated throwers!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Thanks again TG for posting info like this!

We need events like this to get this board going!

I can't commit, cuz with this new job I never know when I'll be in town....maybe the next one when things settle down!

·
Registered
37 Posts
A few of us LSCN lurkers have recruited a total of 6 folks to come out to the Gilbert league tonight. Should be a good time. I heard some popping going on there last night, it will be nice to shoot every week.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(tripdog7 @ May 18 2004, 01:14 PM)A few of us LSCN lurkers have recruited a total of 6 folks to come out to the Gilbert league tonight. Should be a good time. I heard some popping going on there last night, it will be nice to shoot every week.
great! just wish that I could be there myself. make sure you guys deep coming out and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.
by popping off, are you talking about some bragging? I'm always willing to back up my own popping off with a friendly wager if any one is interested

·
Registered
37 Posts
By popping I meant, shooting. I live a few miles north of Gilbert, and on a quiet night I can hear the distant "pop" of shooting going on. I can also hear a "pop...pop" of the doubles league at B&Bs on Thursdays.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So who made it last night and how did you do?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I made it, along with my friends Ron, Ron Sr., Matt, and Tim. Three of us plan on shooting the league for sure. I did terrible at the wobble trap, shot a 12. Holy smokes is that different, almost like sporting clays and trap combined. Shot a 19 in trap, which should improve hopefully. The club is real nice, especially the bar area with all the critters hanging on the walls. I took off after shooting but my friends stuck around and met some of the folks there. Do you think the number of shooters will increase? And what is this "Brown Jug" all about? Sounds like some interesting competiion.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tripdog,
so cool that you & your friends could make it. glad it was a good experience for ya.
the brown jug shoot is a friendly competition between gilbert's and b&bs. we shoot 4 rounds: 16 yd. line, 19 or 20 yd line (I can't remember which) 25 yd line, and skeet. the top 10 scores from each club are combined to determine the winner. losing club pays for the beer.
the last 4 years we have bought the beer

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was there last night too. I won't post my scores for millions to see because I'm not to proud of them!
I will be there next week to redeem myself. I'll also be at the brown jug shoot, shooting for B&BS of course! Me and my brother were accused of being spies sent out to scope the competition!
All in good fun of course! Really nice club and a great group of guys, they bought us most of our beer! I needed quite a few after that wobble trap! I should have drank them before so I could of had a good excuse for my score!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shot much much better at wobble last night, 17 vs. a 12 the first week. Improved 2 birds at handicap trap too.... practice hopefully makes perfect.
What is the 3D archery league like? I've done that once at Detroit Sportsmans Congress and it was a blast.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have only shot the indoor 3d archery a couple of times and I did enjoy it, but I can't remember what their shoot nights are. You can find that out next week at the trap shoot, someone is bound to know. The outdoor 3d archery is once a month and goes around the property of the club - something like 1.7 miles of trails with all kinds of targets through out. Real cool. I'll let you know when dates are set for that.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
I shot (archery) at Richmond a few years back...Great bunch of guys and a good course! Would be fun to do it again!

I will look up his name and number and see watz going on.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After a couple of weeks away from the trap fields, I'm finally going to make it tonight. Can't wait to feel that 12 gage kick and meet some of the LSCN peeps that are participating tonight.
I just hope the weather holds decent so I can make up one of the two rounds that I have missed!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Top Gun, any chance of getting the league scores posted somewhere online each week? I noticed that Gilberts has their own website, I wonder if a spreadsheet could be posted there? I think it'd be fun to see your scores and how you are doing each week in the league.
So far, I'm having a blast in the league. (especially since the handicap ratings have kicked in and your yardage is adjusted depending on how you did the week before)

I can volunteer to help out with a "virtual" league board. (I'm not a HTML expert, but can dabble a bit)

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do keep the scores on an excel file. when I get last Tuesdays compiled, I send them off to our web master and see if he can post them.
maybe we can get them posted on our websight too? we could highlight the league members that are LSCN peeps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts