Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a pretty new boater, at least this is the first year that we have our own boat-- yahoo! Anyway, I was told by someone at work that you could get a ticket for having a porta potty on board when boating in Canadian water--- is there any truth to that? Are there any other common mistakes I should know about right away? I am trying to find info on any special rules for CA, but I want to know about this ASAP. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't think there are rules about having a porta pottie on board. It has to do with drinking, I believe you have to have a pump out head to be able to drink in canadian waters but I could be wrong.

Milord or Mel should be able to answer this

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that seems strange to me. Wouldn't they rather that I peed in a potty than in their water? I mean, if you've got to go, you've got to go, regardless of if you are drinking or not. <_<

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(StoneCold @ May 21 2004, 09:59 AM)Wow, that seems strange to me. Wouldn't they rather that I peed in a potty than in their water? I mean, if you've got to go, you've got to go, regardless of if you are drinking or not.

What I was trying to say is they don't allow you to drink on board if you don't have a pump out head.

Again, I have been known to be wrong about things

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Milord will be better at explaining this, but if you are landing in Canada you have to call CANPASS and give them all the information about your boat and people on board. After you do it once, they keep it on record for that season so you will not have to go through it all again. You can anchor on Canadian waters with out a pump out head, but if you are going to drink you have to be landed for the night and have a port-a-pottie or pump out head. We still drink on our boat, but we just don't get carried away and they don't bother us at all.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Cotty's right about the drinking aboard rules. In order to drink legally in Canada, you have to be in a home or a bar/restaurant. So, in order to drink legally on your boat in Canada, your boat has to be like your home. You have to have cooking facilities, sleeping quarters, a permanent (pumpout) toilet and the boat has to be anchored or tied up (homes can't move).

Regarding other porta-potty rules, I know there's no overboard discharge allowed in the Great Lakes or within 3 miles offshore. That's a federal law.

*disclaimer* this information is from memory and is not guaranteed 100% accurate

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Thanks Christine, I did forget about the cooking facilities. I know that is has been up in the air, so I am going to look into that and see if they have made any changes.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hey y'all

Congrats on the boat purchase StoneCold! As another token Canadian on the board ... I did a bit of research, and it is against the law in Ontario to dump any holding tanks into the water. "Portable toilets are not permitted in Ontario unless adapted for proper shoreline disposal."

Re drinking in Canadian waters, your boat must qualify as a 'permanent residence' meaning: galley, head, berth and you must be moored for the night, so you can't drop anchor, drink for four hours, and then decide to head home -- you must be tied up for the night.

Like MellyJo, I haven't been bothered by the CCG / RCMP / OPP on the water (I seem to attract Macomb Co Sheriff and USBP for some reason, and I have my I-68!) but this is the Victoria Day weekend this weekend, and they will be out in full force looking for boaters who are DUI.

Scott.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's fairly easy to convert a porta potty to a pump out if you have the right tank, otherwise you usually can get the right one from the company who makes the unit. I'm currently converting BoatChic's to a pump out.

·
12,052 Posts
You guys crack me up.

Christine, it is ILLEGAL to pump out in the Great Lakes PERIOD. 3 mile rule is for the ocean.

ALL porta potties must have a pump out hook-up, no lift it up and dump method.

Getting caught with open alcohol in Canadian waters will result in a $255. ticket. Trust me. <_<

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
We were on a friends boat at Crystal bay and got a ticket for that. From what I remember, you can drink on your boat if you don't have a put out head if you are tied off and achored to a boat that does have one.

You should have seen all the booze that was confiscated on the police boat! Bins and bins and bins and bins of it!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
IF YOU CANT DRINK while the boats moving why would you even want to go there?? girl at work and b.f were pulled over for that open intox while boat was moving..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob @ May 21 2004, 01:00 PM)IF YOU CANT DRINK while the boats moving why would you even want to go there?? girl at work and b.f were pulled over for that open intox while boat was moving..
We boat and drink, and don't have any problems at all. And being Canadian and boating a lot over here, I can tell you that I personally have not seen anyone walking around topless since the law was passed. I see more topless boating in the Michigan waters then I do over here.

I think Moneyshot is right about it being not having to have a pump out head if you are tied off to a boat that does.

·
Registered
991 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ May 21 2004, 04:53 PM)We were on a friends boat at Crystal bay and got a ticket for that. From what I remember, you can drink on your boat if you don't have a put out head if you are tied off and achored to a boat that does have one.

You should have seen all the booze that was confiscated on the police boat! Bins and bins and bins and bins of it!
And this is why Chrystal Bay now sits empty. I was in there two years ago and did a drive by, there were two boats anchored there on a sunny Saturday.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Hammer the $225 fine was that Canadian money bacuse that $hit isn't real money (LOL) that play money I'm sure it sucked to pay the fine but did they take the booze

take my Booze and we have a national incident.

·
12,052 Posts
We were in a dinghy off Leamington. It was $225. canadian, and they DID take the rest of my COLD BUD!!
that sucked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts