Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever serviced their trim tab pump? Should you change the oil in the pump from time to time?

In the spring, I am gonna take it out. I think I have a small leak. Possibly a line leak.
Any suggestion would be welcome.

·
12,052 Posts
Did you hit it on the trailer while powerloading?

haha-hehe. I'm killing myself.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by hammer:
Did you hit it on the trailer while powerloading?

haha-hehe. I'm killing myself.
YOUR KILLIN ME TOO,... HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I am a little bit of a fanatic, but aside from the oil, which I flush and change twice a season - depending on how I am using the boat, I flush and change all of the fluids every other season. I also check and clean the electrical contacts when I do this at both the helm and the unit. Sometimes the pumps may seem to be weak and it is a fouling contact. I also found using all synthetic fluids help in the operation of older pumps. I have rebuilt one outdrive pump, but when I did this, I made the mistake of using larger valves and now I have one outdrive travel faster than its partner. Oh well, only I would notice that stuff. T

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I haven't changed the oil in my Bennet trim pump, but had to replace the pump itself a few years ago. The old oil was fine in my case, but if there's water mixed in it, you may need to replace the cylinders (bad seals). In my case the pump just died... corrosion killed it electrically (but I'm not cyin' after gettin' 30 years of service out of it!). Fouled contacts are common (again, corrosion) and I have had a valve stick after a long period of non-use. ...Came free after working it a few times vigorously. Hydraulic oil is what's in the pump reservoir... kinda like power steering fluid (or tranny fluid)... with as little use as it gets in trim tabs, I doubt it'll ever need changing unless it becomes contaminated.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
AHHHH, the beauty of Lenco ELECTRIC trim tab's. No oil, no muss, no fuss!!! Instant reaction!!! Check them out next time your in the market for new one's.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Those Lenco tabs would break right off of my boat, or Convincors boat for that matter.

I had the Bennet tabs on my fountain, they were bent to hell and starting to pull off the hull, just from "normal use". I removed them, had a fiberglass guy take care of all the holes, and put larger custom tabs in there place with the same rams. THey're 19" long now, and they're something like 3/8" stainless with a 1/2" hinge pin. They're not going anywhere. Cost me about $500 to have built and another few hundred for the fiberglass work. These are attached with a combination of through bolts where they would fit, and lag bolts where they wouldn't.

Now one of the rams is broken and i need to replace it in the spring. It had to be clearanced to fit the tabs, and that's where it broke, so i'm going to have to address the cause of the failure too. but the new tabs made a world of difference in the ride and handling of the boat. This thing should have had k-planes on it.

As for the fluid, i'll have to top it off when i replace the tabs. I'll just use tranny fluid, that's what i used before. I don't think you'd need to replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts