Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am the new kid on the block to LSCN and some what to boating. Have a 1975 searay srv22. Had the engine coupler replaced last week. brought it home installed the outdrive, took it off to save some labor cost. Pushed the up botton to bring up the drive and nothing happens. All this worked before. If i push the down botton can hear the motor turn on but the drive is all ready down. Found one light blue wire broke that goes thru the hull with a purple to the outdrive. This unit has the switch thats mounted on the top of the gimble , not the newer style that has the pucks on each side. fixed the wire still nothing. Boat has ford 351 with a type 1 mercruiser out drive. I had to scrape up the cash to get the coupler done and none left. Displaced auto worker. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Also love the fishing reports, ect. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Can you jump the 'up' solenoid to see if it will tilt up then...My first thought and the easiest would be either the solenoid is bad or the switch is bad. First thing clean the terminals on the switch and trim and re-crimp the wires on the switch, and give that a shot. Next easiest is to buy a cheap 3 dollar switch and see if that fixes it, if it does you can order the OEM switch and fix it. If not, next in line would be the solenoid. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Laguna @ Aug 11 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can you jump the 'up' solenoid to see if it will tilt up then...My first thought and the easiest would be either the solenoid is bad or the switch is bad. First thing clean the terminals on the switch and trim and re-crimp the wires on the switch, and give that a shot. Next easiest is to buy a cheap 3 dollar switch and see if that fixes it, if it does you can order the OEM switch and fix it. If not, next in line would be the solenoid. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. A buddy of mine came over and we figured it out, it was a two man job. Basicly the reverse lock out switch was broken, so the previous owner tied the to wires together and ware the one wire went to the blue came off, the screw was loose, which is for the trim up. and ware he taped them together at the switch came apart. I had read other blogs about people jumping out this switch and the trim gage switch which is mounted on top of the gimble housing as this is the old style, ware the new ones use the puck style on each side of the gimble ware the out drive pivots. needless to say this system is pretty simply compared to the newer ones. Ive only had this boat a couple months and am still fixing/replacing things and learning how things were rigged in order to work. I have noticed quite a few older searays on the water so as I am a pretty good mechanically as I figure things out I hope I can help others with these older boats. Thanks again. Now the important stuff, I can finish buttoning things up tomorrow and get out fishin,

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Welcome to LSCN!

Glad you got it figured out.

Every time something like that happens, for sure, it's a learning experience. Like taking a class you hadn't planned on taking, only the stakes are extra high. Pass = Boating, Fail = No Boating

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts