Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking forward to a trip to LSC later on this month. We would be fishing for smallies, walleye, and perch. Any suggestions on where to launch, lodging, and where to fish would be appreciated. Basically all I know about LSC is that it is that I hear the fishing can be very good. Thats all I need to know. I have checked a few site and I can't really find any paticulars just some vague information. Thanks alot I'm ready to roll.
L.Bates

·
Registered
795 Posts
You can find various lodging at different price ranges. Try the Roseville, Mich area. Red Roof Inn is one place you can try along with the Knights Inn. Both Motels are located just south of 16 Mile Road (also called Big Beaver).

You can launch your boat at Metro Beach (were 16 mile road ends). Or at south river road (Harley Ensign.

Perch - You can find perch just about anywhere on the lake, the water depth is what is important.
Try straight out from Metro Beach (The Black Creek). Get into at least 10-14 ft of water.

Depending on your boat, the shipping channels also produce starting in late June. Try bouys 26 -28 just of of the dropoffs.

Smallies and walleyes also can be caught in the same areas.

Try getting a Hot Spots Map of Lake St. Clair, it will be worth the ca$h.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Come during the week, the weekends can get busy on the lake with all of the big boats around.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Yes the weekends can get very hectic, especially if the sun is out. Of course it also makes for better viewing! The bass opener is the 21st so expect a lot of tournament boats the first two weekends. The 28th there are more tournaments scheduled then you can imagine. So if you don't want to battle the crowds, plan on a weekday trip if possible. Weekdays are always so much more enjoyable. I swear the fish know when it is the weekend!

For smallies, the entire stretch from the 400 club apartments (14 mile) down to 9 mile is a good area. It's just a matter of finding the right depth. Start out in about 8' and either work your way in to 5' or work your way out to 12'+. Once you find the right depth you should have no problem hooking up. Tubes on 1/4oz jigheads are the main arsenal for most of us, but all your standard bass lures apply.

For walleye you can try off the Southside of the point at Metro Beach (launch mentioned above). Trolling cranks, stickbaits, and maybe even harnasses. The 400 club area should have a few walleye around as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Harmony Motel on 23 Mile Rd in Fairhaven has cheap rooms and the owners are very nice people. You can tie your boat up to the sea wall right in front of your room too. There is great fishing on the north side of the lake this time of year.

·
Registered
262 Posts
St. Clair is a large lake and the the HotSpots map is a great idea. It will give you a much better perspective. All the suggestions can be see by looking on the map (ie. 400 club).

If you decide to use the Harley Ensign launch site, there is also a Comfort Inn and Best Western in Mt Clemens very close. Mt Clemens has some nice night life (you are on vacation!). There are also launches in FairHaven and Chesterfield (Selfridge Launch).

I agree that weekends can get quiet busy, especially the north half of the lake. I prefer to be out early and in by lunch unless fishing the Canadian side (Walleye and Perch fishing can be very productive on that side of the lake near the "weather buoy"). The lake has a totally different personality on the weekdays.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
You can call Lakeside Bait n Tackle.
# to the shop=777-7003
# for a fishing report=777-7008

Youll need a GPS. If your a hardcore fisherman, I recommend avoiding metros Black creek, sure the scenery is great. (Chicks n Bikinis) But it will eat up 30 minutes of fishing. Its KAOS!!!! 90% Party people going as slow as possible. It can be a nausiating experience, when you want to fish.

Theres another boat launch, like 5 minutes away that puts you right on the water.

Also the Black Creek short cut.

Leave Boat launch.
Turn left right away first canal.
Turn right right away and take it to the lake.

Only problem is you go under a low bridge. Just about any bass boat should have no problem, but boats with windshields or any height at all wont make the cut. Its a great short cut. Saves you literally 20-25 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts