Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys troll double ten bladed bucktails? I am sure you need to weight them and how deep do they run in perspective to the weight added? Do you think is an effective presentation? What time of year is best? Any thought or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
50 - 80 feet back.

Anywhere from 2 - 6 ounces ounces of weight.

Be prepared to lose some blades. The nickle plated brass clevises, do not hold up to the rigors of trolling them, day in and day out. Part of doing business, though.

Made to cast a lifetime... trolling them 10hrs a day, will kill em in less than a month. FYI

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Just get some bomb proof bucktails!!! LoL jeff, I got my first muski lure about 2 weeks ago. Nice work!!! They are very well made, though I know nothing about ski's/lures.

I didn't realize how many guys make lures on this site. It was tough to decide which to buy. Hopefully, I'll use it 1 day!! I need alot more before I get started.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 21 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm working on the clevis thing Scott.... Haven't heard of mine failing yet, but they've not been out that long.

So far so good, with my 'moons'.

I have heard the charter boats have been killing other brands of tails. Doesnt seem to matter who made them, just the clevis is the weak link. We have wore out a few, too.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Oct 21 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just get some bomb proof bucktails!!! LoL jeff, I got my first muski lure about 2 weeks ago. Nice work!!! They are very well made, though I know nothing about ski's/lures.

Thanks. There's "niches" you can fill when you make baits. You can fill the "one and only" niche like Bob does, the "name brand" niche like Musky Mayhem does, and the "made in China, but sell for very cheap" like you see on ebay. And they're all good niches that need filled. I can't compete with any of those, and don't want to. I want to fill the "custom, bombproof" niche, where my stuff is made to order, and made to last.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Greg Thomas had a good article in Musky Hunter last year on pulling dbl 10's, pretty much a btm bouncer trimmed up for a keel directly in front of the bucktail to prevent over spinning, and a 3ft leader with a 1lb weight hooked to the front of the leader. I've done it, easy to keep in the wash at high speeds.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Corey K @ Oct 22 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Greg Thomas had a good article in Musky Hunter last year on pulling dbl 10's, pretty much a btm bouncer trimmed up for a keel directly in front of the bucktail to prevent over spinning, and a 3ft leader with a 1lb weight hooked to the front of the leader. I've done it, easy to keep in the wash at high speeds.

Do you run these on big boards?

·
Registered
377 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 21 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm working on the clevis thing Scott.... Haven't heard of mine failing yet, but they've not been out that long.

I can attest to that, the spanky's clevices tend to not hold up, but I have trolled a few of Jeffs all summer and not one blade has fallen off, and they have taken Multiple Musky.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
QUOTE(edalz @ Oct 22 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Corey K @ Oct 22 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Greg Thomas had a good article in Musky Hunter last year on pulling dbl 10's, pretty much a btm bouncer trimmed up for a keel directly in front of the bucktail to prevent over spinning, and a 3ft leader with a 1lb weight hooked to the front of the leader. I've done it, easy to keep in the wash at high speeds.

Do you run these on big boards?

We run ours on regular boards, I usually use 4 oz 45ft seems to be our magic number took those 2 musky on that same set up closest rod to the board. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If I was going to put double 10s on a board I would use 4-8oz any were from 20-100' back depending on the depth of water you are in. As for clevises I have yet to see one of my heavy duty custom clevises fail yet. I had some issues with older lighter versions of my clevis fail but the new one I am making has held up to long trolling hours and fish head shaking the lure with no failures yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts