Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my first boat(not much but she is mine). 16 ft 1962 closed bow with 25 hp Merc. I wanna try jigging DR. Bow or transom? Kicker or electric? Besides just getting out there and doing it, any good resources to learn boat control? I'm a 22 yr retired military vet and I wanna learn so I can reach out to other vets who just need to get away for a while. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
you will need electric trolling motor in the bow or transom. Doesn't matter I prefer cable steer bow mount. But if you cant stand on one foot all day I'd get a electric steer motor.

I would recommend jigging in places that are no crowded first like upper river. Also a bit easier because less snags

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Closed bow- you may only be able to use transom mount. How old is the merc? If it's almost as old as the boat then you probably should get a backup 10 hp or less. You can use that as your trolling motor if you're ok with the noise and also have in case the 25hp fails. You may need some transom splash guards too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you will need electric trolling motor in the bow or transom. Doesn't matter I prefer cable steer bow mount. But if you cant stand on one foot all day I'd get a electric steer motor.

I would recommend jigging in places that are no crowded first like upper river. Also a bit easier because less snags
Ok. What lb thrust minimum? What would be a good place to launch then for 'upper river'? Just wondered which is easier, bow or transom? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Closed bow- you may only be able to use transom mount. How old is the merc? If it's almost as old as the boat then you probably should get a backup 10 hp or less. You can use that as your trolling motor if you're ok with the noise and also have in case the 25hp fails. You may need some transom splash guards too.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Since you have a closed bow you will need a transom mount trolling motor. I wouldn't go with anything under 50 LB thrust. Mount it on the opposite side as your transducer (if you have one). Also loosen the screws on the head of the trolling motor & rotate it 180 degrees. This will allow you to go in forward speed while back trolling into the wind to keep your line vertical. An extension handle will probably be needed as well. A trolling motor foot switch would also come in handy for a transom mount motor as this will allow you to leave the trolling motor handle in the on position & use the foot switch to turn the power off & on for less hands on operation.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Why cant you with a bow mount on a closed bow? Yes you with have to run some lines and drill some holes. If the bow itself is flat enough it should mount fine,correct? As for controls go with a foot pedal with a long cord. If you dont have a windshield raising and lowering it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Eodman do you have a pic of the boat you could post

1,036 Posts
You can launch at St. Jeans or Alter Road boat launches to access upper river. You might want to consider purchasing a Canadian license to access less heavily fished areas as well. Make sure you read up on all the different fishing restrictions, call in requirements, etc. if you are going to fish in Canada.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why cant you with a bow mount on a closed bow? Yes you with have to run some lines and drill some holes. If the bow itself is flat enough it should mount fine,correct? As for controls go with a foot pedal with a long cord. If you dont have a windshield raising and lowering it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Eodman do you have a pic of the boat you could post

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since you have a closed bow you will need a transom mount trolling motor. I wouldn't go with anything under 50 LB thrust. Mount it on the opposite side as your transducer (if you have one). Also loosen the screws on the head of the trolling motor & rotate it 180 degrees. This will allow you to go in forward speed while back trolling into the wind to keep your line vertical. An extension handle will probably be needed as well. A trolling motor foot switch would also come in handy for a transom mount motor as this will allow you to leave the trolling motor handle in the on position & use the foot switch to turn the power off & on for less hands on operation.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
If it's a small tiller 16' honestly 30# will be just fine, the days you need more your not gonna be out there to begin with. But 55# would be the preferred motor for me I always like to have more than not enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can launch at St. Jeans or Alter Road boat launches to access upper river. You might want to consider purchasing a Canadian license to access less heavily fished areas as well. Make sure you read up on all the different fishing restrictions, call in requirements, etc. if you are going to fish in Canada.
Call me overly cautious but I won't use either of those launches unless I'm equipped like this under my jacket. That means no Canada for me. When I want to fish the Canadian side, I haul the boat in to Canada and launch there (sans my EDC of course). Be safe out there.
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 51 Posts