Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
St jeans is a completely safe launch don't think about going there, always a guard and border patrol sits in there after dark. Alter toad on the other hard I try to avoid especially after April and after dark!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Alter road is my go to launch.
Whats is a pistol going to do lol. They are not going to rob you while you are launching your boat. And ever heard of negligible discharge. Happens alot but if it happens to you I would feel very sorry ha

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
St jeans is a completely safe launch don't think about going there, always a guard and border patrol sits in there after dark. Alter toad on the other hard I try to avoid especially after April and after dark!
I agree that St. Jean is a safe launch, ONCE YOU GET THERE, but you must drive deeper into the annals of Detroit versus when using Alter Rd. since Alter is the border between Detroit and the Pointes. Getting car jacked is one thing, but getting car and boat jacked at the same time is something that isn't happening to me during prime time jiggin season. Plus, there are times you have to park quite a ways outside of the launch at St. Jean after launching and then walk back. That part is anything but safe. I can recall a time I came very close to getting mauled by a pack of wild dogs when, for whatever reason, they suddenly turned their attention to one of their own and six of them started tearing the one to shreds. All I Was carrying that day was my transom saver and it wouldn't have been enough. Another thing I did was started using Jefferson/Lakeshore Dr. quite a few years ago to get to and from either launch, rather than traveling Alter in from or out to catch the EWay quicker. Also, when driving to St. Jean I always use an outside lane and never get boxed In at red light. That way if you see someone coming you have room to pull out and beat it rather than having to possiblly shoot someone to save your life. A couple cars working in tandem to box in an unsuspecting victim at a red light is one of the oldest tricks in the books. Situational awareness is key. Refuse to be a victim.
[/quote]
You will not get carjacked especially with a boat on your trailer. Just worry about stopping a gas stations for them stealing your wallet or something but they're not going to steal a car with the boat attached to it. Or harm any one of us fisherman at a boat launch because they know not to deal with us fisherman ********.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I agree that St. Jean is a safe launch, ONCE YOU GET THERE, but you must drive deeper into the annals of Detroit versus when using Alter Rd. since Alter is the border between Detroit and the Pointes. Getting car jacked is one thing, but getting car and boat jacked at the same time is something that isn't happening to me during prime time jiggin season. Plus, there are times you have to park quite a ways outside of the launch at St. Jean after launching and then walk back. That part is anything but safe. I can recall a time I came very close to getting mauled by a pack of wild dogs when, for whatever reason, they suddenly turned their attention to one of their own and six of them started tearing the one to shreds. All I Was carrying that day was my transom saver and it wouldn't have been enough. Another thing I did was started using Jefferson/Lakeshore Dr. quite a few years ago to get to and from either launch, rather than traveling Alter in from or out to catch the EWay quicker. Also, when driving to St. Jean I always use an outside lane and never get boxed In at red light. That way if you see someone coming you have room to pull out and beat it rather than having to possiblly shoot someone to save your life. A couple cars working in tandem to box in an unsuspecting victim at a red light is one of the oldest tricks in the books. Situational awareness is key. Refuse to be a victim.
[/quote]

I do agree you need to be more aware when your in Detroit, but you sound really paranoid and make it out to be wayyyy worse than it really is.

·
Banned
774 Posts
[/quote]

I do agree you need to be more aware when your in Detroit, but you sound really paranoid and make it out to be wayyyy worse than it really is.
[/quote]

I may sound paranoid to you but should the need arise, I will be glad I am mentally prepared to do what it takes and have the training to execute a plan. In fact, I don't consider myself paranoid at all. If you want to talk paranoid, go to a Michigan Militia meeting. Lol. When I was your age I worried a lot less about a lot of things, but at twice your age I probably have more people who depend on me and have seen a much greater change for the worse from when I first started fishing those areas. The east side of Detroit has as high a violent crime rate, if not higher, than nearly anywhere else in the country. Back to 1st boats and trolling motors. Those things are much nicer to think about.
[/quote]

ROFL now I'm going to look for you at a meeting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My fellow Vet. I live here in the"D" i am a few months from seventy "thanks for 22 yrs. of service" Come to Detroit park free next to fort wayne plenty of action on the DR left r right u can go RR $10:00 r WD southfield @ jefferson.FW first of april free with boat class insurance cheap enjoy your boat and fishon."

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm sure you put yourself in more harm being a vet of war. Boat launches in Detroit are fine. Just fill your tanks up by where you live. It's too bad if you miss fishing because of what a few on here say.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Why cant you with a bow mount on a closed bow? Yes you with have to run some lines and drill some holes. If the bow itself is flat enough it should mount fine,correct? As for controls go with a foot pedal with a long cord. If you dont have a windshield raising and lowering it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Eodman do you have a pic of the boat you could post

·
Registered
26 Posts
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Fender Automotive exterior
View attachment 189241 View attachment 189241
Why cant you with a bow mount on a closed bow? Yes you with have to run some lines and drill some holes. If the bow itself is flat enough it should mount fine,correct? As for controls go with a foot pedal with a long cord. If you dont have a windshield raising and lowering it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Eodman do you have a pic of the boat you could post

Attachments

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Easy solution. Go to Trenton.
Of all the launches on the Michigan side of the DR that I've launched at the only place that I had stuff stolen from me was at Elizabeth Park, There's cops that sit in their cars at that launch & stuff still gets stolen out of people trucks there.

As for Alter vs.St. Jeans I'll take Alter over St. Jeans any day. I have never had any issues at Alters & everyone I've talked has never had a issue there either. Border Patrol is always going through the lot there & the guy that owns the ramps lives right next to the ramp. I have heard of guys having stuff stolen out of their trucks at St. Jeans.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Easy solution. Go to Trenton.
Of all the launches on the Michigan side of the DR that I've launched at the only place that I had stuff stolen from me was at Elizabeth Park, There's cops that sit in their cars at that launch & stuff still gets stolen out of people trucks there.

As for Alter vs.St. Jeans I'll take Alter over St. Jeans any day. I have never had any issues at Alters & everyone I've talked has never had a issue there either. Border Patrol is always going through the lot there & the guy that owns the ramps lives right next to the ramp. I have heard of guys having stuff stolen out of their trucks at St. Jeans.
[/quote]

Buddy had his truck broken into and dumb stuff stolen last year late April.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts