Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
774 Posts
"Go to Trenton" is that a joke or good place to launch?
Half joke half truth.

As a beginner you have no business in the Trenton channel imo.

Learn the ropes on the upper or mid river first before you attempt trenton as its snaggy (snaggy is being nice) and much less room for boats.

You could launch there and head upriver but that's a long run for a smaller older boat when you could launch closer to those spots (from North to south; alter, St jeans, delray, bellanger, ecorse (if it even opens) and Wyandotte anything further south is a Trenton channel/lower river launch).

·
Registered
822 Posts
Why cant you with a bow mount on a closed bow? Yes you with have to run some lines and drill some holes. If the bow itself is flat enough it should mount fine,correct? As for controls go with a foot pedal with a long cord. If you dont have a windshield raising and lowering it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Eodman do you have a pic of the boat you could post
[/quote]
To me it looks like a bow mount could work that cleat may be in the way and raising and lowering the motor may be a pain if the wind shield doesn't open. I curious about what others have to say because my experience with boats and upgrades is less than others here but i think it would work

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Ulterra made by Minnkota is able to stow and deploy itself. This would make life a lot easier for you especially in rough water. I got mine sitting in the living room now until I get it to the marina for installation. I have really enjoyed Detroit for well over 30 years now. Never had a single issue. It is always smart to be aware of your surroundings but people often overplay the risks involved for various reasons. Wyandotte has served me well for fishing as it has very few snags compared to Trenten channel.

·
Banned
130 Posts
good idea until you judge her sea worthiness. as for Detroit I have been using alter and jean jeany for over 30 years and not one issue but that is not to say I am not on much higher alert in those places. never know when a little group therapy with the locals may be in order

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can launch at St. Jeans or Alter Road boat launches to access upper river. You might want to consider purchasing a Canadian license to access less heavily fished areas as well. Make sure you read up on all the different fishing restrictions, call in requirements, etc. if you are going to fish in Canada.
Yes, Lets fish Canada

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Maybe it was just the times I'd been there (mainly October), but I've found St. Jean far more isolated, deserted, and way easier for a crook to get away with anything than Alter, which tends to have a lot of border patrol, and visibility from across the canal, not to mention the frequently watchful attendant. Almost got locked into St. Jean, too!

Alter all the way for me if I'm fishing the upper river and/or lower lake. But I don't have a new or snazzy vehicle. The worst that's happened was my trailer was at an angle once when I pulled in this fall, as if someone was playing a prank... or maybe had a few too many and ran into it.

·
Banned
2 Posts
The trolling motor for Deep River is not easy to use. Because of the long distance between the boat and the motor, you should use a long fishing rod. Tie the trolling motor to the front of the boat, and cast the long rod in the water. Then, turn the trolling motor on. It will pull the fishing rod. You should know how to choose the right trolling motor for Deep River. There are two main kinds of trolling motors: the ones that have a transducer with a GPS system and the ones that don't. The ones with the GPS system are more expensive, but they are easier to use. They also allow you to keep more control of your speed, which is a great thing to have in the murky water of Deep River.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The trolling motor for Deep River is not easy to use. Because of the long distance between the boat and the motor, you should use a long fishing rod. Tie the trolling motor to the front of the boat, and cast the long rod in the water. Then, turn the trolling motor on. It will pull the fishing rod. You should know how to choose the right trolling motor for Deep River. There are two main kinds of trolling motors: the ones that have a transducer with a GPS system and the ones that don't. The ones with the GPS system are more expensive, but they are easier to use. They also allow you to keep more control of your speed, which is a great thing to have in the murky water of Deep River.
Did you realize this post was 6 years old? Also, people do not generally use a “long” rod or cast when using a trolling motor on the Detroit River. The vast majority of people who use a trolling motor on the Detroit River are jigging and using the trolling motor to “slip the current” to keep their line as vertical as possible.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts