Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size tube head do you guys generally use on LSC? I have been using a smaller size and then chose to try 1/4 OZ it seems to get hung easier? Curious what others use?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know a lot of guys use 1/8 oz. pretty often. I usually start with 1/8 and only go bigger if it is too windy to feel the lure or it won't get to the bottom. I don't care if it takes a few seconds to get to the bottom either. The slower fall gets a lot of fish. When the wind picks up (which it will) you can keep working a lighter tube if you change your rod angle and put the tip at the waters surface. This will keep the wind from putting the big curve in your line which will cause a loss of feel for you and the tube will be dragged by the line blowing. Also when I'm in current I may go heavier to get it down quicker. Going from 1/8 oz to only 3/16 oz is a pretty big change in the feel and fall rate of a tube. What is it hanging up on (rocks, weeds)? If it's weeds then you may want to try Texas rigging instead of an exposed hook.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i use a 1/4 oz minimum. i will go heavier depending on how active the fish are. when i am fishing a tube, i like to get it to the bottom and keep it there. im not saying using a 1/8 oz head is bad. not at all, but i have played with all sizes and found my comfort zone to be 14 to 38 oz. thse two sizes pretty much cover everything i need to do. i will go heavier on very windy days, or if i am fishing deeper ( 20 ft or more). once in a great while i fish a tube like a minnow. in this case, i will use a 1/8th oz. but i rarely fish a tube like this.

best advise i can give you is play around and find what you are most comfortable throwing. if you are throwing a 1/4 oz and constantly getting hung up, get rid of it. the more you get hung up, the less time you are effectivly working your tube, plus this will only destract you and lower your confidence level. if 1/8 is what you like, use it. dont worry about what other guys are using. just remember, the lighter the tube, the easier it is for the fish to inhale, be quick with your hooksets or you will have some bleeders.

madman himself

·
Registered
175 Posts
Like madman...I also like the 1/4 ounce head. For me thats the standard and I will work around that if I need to. Deeper water or current....I move to 3/8...I rarely use a 1/8 ounce head. If fish are busting on baitfish i'll throw a 1/8 ounce head so I can swim it fast on top. And thats also when i'll use a white or a similar color tube. Generally, greens, browns, and smokes on bottom and whites for fish on top or active fish. Now i've had a couple days where I whack'em on a white tube on the bottom. I got off topic...1/4 ounce head for me...

Also like madman said, stick to what you like and feel comfortable with.

God bless,
Jose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I will use what I feel comfortable with.
By the way some had mentioned Smallies feeding in top. I seen this for the first time this past weekend they were smacking the surface at bait fish. It was pretty quick maybe 20 seconds. In this instance I should of thrown a white bait to imitate the bait fish?

·
Registered
927 Posts
in that instance you could have thrown your show lace out there and cought a fish. but anything that would mimic a fleeing baitfish, a spinnerbait, jerkbait ( hard or soft), tube, etc. cant go wrong

madman himself

·
Registered
16 Posts
i choose to use the lightest jig head possible. it gives, in my opinion, a more realistic action to the bait.

in most cases, fishing the actual lake, i will use an 1/8 ounce head on a 4" tube or grub. if windy conditions are present, i will change to what is best suited to the conditions at hand.

if fishing the river channels or in other areas of current, i will start with a 1/4 ounce. also, i have been downsizing my line to 6 lb. test flourocarbon and it seems to allow me to use the lighter jigs in windy/current conditions. just remember to reset the drag and don't horse 'em in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts