Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious to your thoughts on tube rattles, what would be the right times to use them and what brands and sizes do you like?

I am a believer in using scents, thats not to say that I wouldn't be catching fish without it. I think its just a confidence thing.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Use them quite often.
Check out www.laketownmfg.com

These products are also sold at Lakeside,Selfridge Sport and Tackle, and Professional Fishing Center.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I really like the ones from Stopper Lures (K&E Tackle) If you go to www.stopperlures.com you can see a picture, order them direct or get a list of dealers in Michigan.

·
Registered
927 Posts
rattles?!?!?!

hmmmmmmm......

in clear water i only use rattles if the fish are really aggresive. if the bite is tough, i wouldnt throw a rattle to better my odds of catching fish. your chances of spooking the fish are greater in clear water.

murky water is another story. if the fishes sense of sight is hindered ( 20 points for use of the word hindered) i would use a rattle to my advantage to give the fish a way of hearing my bait better.

as far as clair goes, i only use a rattle when the fish are extremely active.

heres a tip. instead of paying extra money for tube heads equipped with rattles, buy worm rattles bulk from bass pro shops and rubber band them to your tube heads.

i have used tubes weights with rattles already on them and i find that they will break off after 1 fish. not always the case, but it happens.

if your fishing some darker water tho, i would suggest rubber banding a worm rattle to your favorite tube head and fishing extremely close to any kind of bottom cover you can find. it has payed off for me in the past.

madman himself

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have to agree with jon about the K&E tackle, very nice stuff. You really do need to watch what you buy alot of the brands the rattle will break off after a couple fish or banging on the rocks

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Instead of a rubber band, try heat shrink tubing. It lasts longer, but be careful if you are using plastic rattles, they may melt.

Mini

·
Registered
357 Posts
Eric,
I've been using rattles in my tubes for about two years with good results. I agree with Madman about not using them in clear water especially shallow clear water. There have been numerous times when my partner and I were dragging the same tube color and I was catching 3 to 4 fish to each of his. He wouldn't add a rattle and I kept up the pace. Again, this happen a number of times.

I always use a rattle when I fish Erie!

I started off with jig heads with molded in rattles then switched to a number of rattles from different manufacturers (some listed above). Now I go to the craft store with my wife and buy little 1/4" diameter bells for about two bucks for 25. They have a little notch built in for sewing them on that fits nicely over the barb of a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. I slip one over the barb, push the jighead and bell up into the tube and tie it on. The bell fits snugly in the tube and the tube dulls the bell to a clicking noise.

They work great and the price is right.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are great, only on this web-site would I get 6 helpful responses to tube rattles on a snowy January day. Now all I need is your GPS numbers to your favorite spots and I'll be all set.

I am trying to learn to fish smallies so please bear with my questions, I have alot more to ask in the near future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts