Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need (not really) to get a new rod mainly for throwing tubes. I have heard a few different things on what length and action, but what are some good rods,for a reasonable price, out there. What's the best length & action?

Looking to see what you guys are using...........

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Best tube rod on the market is the All Star AST905MS. It's 7'6" and has a fast tip with plenty of back bone. It was designed for this area....DRP

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have to agree with DRP. I am building myself 1 of those All Star Titanium rods. Great blank, straight, light and sensative for a 7'6" rod. You might also look at all star IMX 10 line or thier T series. All with the number designation of 905. I have built several rods based on the IMX 10 blank. These rods are moderately priced as well.

Gregg

·
Registered
33 Posts
GreggM,

How would you compare the sensitivity of the All Star blanks you mentioned to the Loomis IMX series?

I built a rod using the MB782 blank. I didn't intend to use it as a tube rod but when I do, I swear you can feel the fish open his mouth to inhale the bait.

Thanks for the input.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Gregg M built me a 71/2 Ft. Muskie rod on an MH All Star Blank and it has the best feel of all the rods I have. It along with the XH All Star that Mini has let me borrow has a better feel than my St Croix or even my Gander Mtn. Guide series. Mini that XH brings a big fish in in one H. of a hurry. It throws a Super Shad further than any other rod I ever used. I can hardly wait for the 8 foot Crank Bait Rod Gregg is building for me. It is also on a All Star Blank. Our time is coming John, plus Camp Neeley will be here sooner than you think. AH Sweet Revenge. Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
6'6" med action Bass Pro Shops Xtreme rod's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very reasonable price.

7 ft medium action Gander Mtn. Guide Series IM8. $59.99 but check the store for sales. 2 year unlimited warranty. I have 5 of them setup with identical reels. I love these rods. I would like to know who makes the blanks for them if anyone out there knows.

Scott

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
All Star rods have a lifetime warranty regardless of the price range you choose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
so do grandt rods.....the all-american pro series has a 58 million modulus graphite blank while the XLH70 has a 70 million modulus graphite blank the finest, most sensitive fishing instrument in the industry today.

tight-lines!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ranger,

I have looked at a couple of IMX blanks from loomis. Great blanks but the ones i saw were not the straightest. I have heard this is or was an issue. As far as sensativity I would say they are close. The most sensative blank i have had in my hands are the high end st croix, I am going to build on an scv sometime this year. I do have a liking for the All Star Rods. They are quality, the factory rods (high end) are inexpensive as compared to other brands high end (270 for that loomis and 350 for the st croix). They all weigh about the same (st croix scv being the lightest). As far as the gandt rods go, i saw them at the ford field show and thought they were nice, however for the price i do believe you can do as well or better.

Gregg

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Hey guy back from fishing....imagine that a thread about a tube rod. First I have to ask how much do you want to spend? Then what kind of warranty would you like? The choice on money is yours, but the warranty will be the same no matter what you choose.

DRP and GreggM are right, the Titanium AST905MS is an awesome rod, but may be too much for some. Price and length. The rod is 7 1/2 foot. Personally I like the 7 footers, but I know people that like 6'6" rods too. Depends on preference and All Star listens to anglers.

There are many options and you can compare brands but I do not see how or why you wouldnt want an All Star. 5 different series of rods, 5 different price ranges that you can get ALL WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY.

The Classic Series Tube Rod Special is the bread and butter. I designed these rods (3 and 5 power, med light and medium respectively) for the tube fishing bonanza we have here in the Great Lakes. Both are 7 foot and are extremely sensitive for a rod retailing $69.99 (can get on sale for much less) and only available at Bass Pro Shops. They just got a new shipment in last week and the ailse is full of them, but I am sure they wont be there for long. After the immenent success of the rod, All Star expanded the length and action to additional series of rods.

The next series is the Elite Series. Around $80, and you get an upgraded blank material and a slightly lighter rod.

On to IM10X, our most popular with the die hard All Star fans all over the country. Nearing $100 for this stick, but an IM10 blank and all American construction, performance and customer service.

Then the TSeires.....my new favorite. Slightly heavier than the top of the line Titanium and a different handle. You cannot buy a better rod for under $140, period. The 905 blank is also available in this series.

Titaniums....top of the line bar none. Lightest, strongest, most sensitive rod on the market. Lifetime warranty.....Under $200. Put one side by side to your favorite high end rod and you can get close to 2 All Stars for the price of one of them AND the Titanium will be more sensitive.

Classic Seires, IM10X and Titaniums are available at Bass Pro Shops.

IM10X, TSeires and Titaniums are available at Gander Mountain Waterford, South Street Tackle in Belleville, Professional Fishing Center in Harrison Township.

Elite Sereis are available at Lakeside Fishing.

Of course you can always special order ANY rod in our catalog from ANY of the locations above and I will get it shipped to that store in 72 hours. OR if you want a custom built rod with an All Star Blank contact GreggM!!!!

If you have anymore questions please do not hesistate to contact me via email.

Mini

·
Registered
29 Posts
I consider the Grandt rods to be heavier and not as sensative as my loomis rods. The Grandt rods rarely see any time on the water anymore as 99% of the time while throwing tubes I use a 7' fast action Loomis IMX.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
All Star Rod blanks are made in the USA .....BY ALL STAR! As far as I know, only 4 companies in the US make their own blanks from scratch.....All Star, Loomis, St.Croix, and Lamiglas. Other companies either buy them from one of these 4 or get them from overseas.

·
Registered
927 Posts
savage,

if i am not mistaken, the gander mountain rods are just blanks from the berkley lightning rod factory. i am not sure where berkley gets the blanks but i asked the dude working at the waterford gander mountain and thats what he told me.

madman himself

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am throwing tubes on a Kistler Custom Rod in the Mark Tyler model (KMT66m); 6'6" in a medium action. This rod has a soft tip with plenty of back bone, and no foregrip for better sensitivity.

Trey Kistler, the owner, has been producing rods for several years with his father. His father was one of the original owners of All Star and Castaway rods.

If you would like more information on any of the Kistler rods, please email me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
For open water, I tend to use a 7' MF St. Croix Avid. When skipping tubes (or any other soft plastic) I'll use a 6'6" MF St. Croix Avid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.