Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just an informal pole.

What is your first choice, a tube or a grub? When would you choose a grub (if ever) over a tube? Do you usually swim the grub or drag it?

I would normally choose a tube but I have heard that there are days when grubs are hard to beat. I don't fish grubs very often for two reasons: 1) little confidence in the bait. 2) I don't really care for most of the colors. Kalin's has a large color choice but the only ones I've had limited luck with are smoke w/pepper, avocado and watermelon w/pepper.

Are there any other grub manufactures that make a quality bait with good color choices? Are there any grubs available that are larger than the 5" Kalins?

Thanks for any input!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
My first choice on Clair/Erie would be a tube. I especially prefer a tube when fishing when fishing shallow (5’ or less), when covering water quickly, or fishing vertically. I’ll experiment with a grub if the bit slows down in many other situations though. Current or movement (swimming over grass/hoping over rocks/dragging) is really the key to fishing grubs in my opinion. My favorite place to use a grub is in deep current. Let the current provide the action on bait. One little trick I live by is to tie a weightless grub and toss it on shallow structure as a freighter goes by.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I use the Berkley Power Grub. And just slam them. It catch's all species. I use mostly the 3 in. if i get the taps i go to 2in. Using the tournament strength also. I start with White and use pumpkin, chartruse, and shad, I got pink, orange, most colors, but find that white is #1 chartruese,#2 pumpkin#3 shad#4 The 3 inch works perfect married to the 1/8 ounce jig which i pinch the barb and bend the hook out just a bit. Also always tied direct to 4lb. fireline. I'll use spinning gear, i like the spirex reel with the double paddle handles,, seems to me to be better balanced. I'll cast the grub, and drift drag with and without a bobber.

h2o<-----says they have the scent built in

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use tubes for smallmouth on Lake St. Clair but I have more confidence in a grub. When I use a grub, I can hop it or swim it. I use Zoom or Gary Yamamoto grubs and my confidence colors are 1) green pumpkin, 2) chartreuse and 3) smoke.

I have been using Gary Yamamoto Fat Ikas some. They are very similiar to a tube but are not hollow. They are more dense then a tube and I can use a lighter jig head. The fat ika's are an excellent choice for pitching for largemouths.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I use both pretty equaly.I`ll use a tube when casting or flippin. Then I`ll Carolina Rig a grub ( or lizzard) when I want to cover alot of deeper water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts