Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
TUBES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And More Tubes!!!!!!!!

Call Seth at South Steet Tackle in Belleville.
(734) 697-0990.

Whether you want 10 packs, 50 packs, 100 packs, or a 1000,,,,,,,,,, he is the man. You name a color,,,,,,, he has got it!

ED

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thank i will be looking... does anyone know a good weight to use on a tube jig in lake st. clair?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You'll want a variety of weights,....1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 3/16, 3/8, and 1/2 will cover 99% of the situations you encounter. I'd recommend you use as light of a weight as possible and still maintain contact with the bottom. If you want to swim the tube to imitate bait fish,..then use the 1/16, and 1/8,.....maybe the 1/4 if you're deep....but if you want to "drift and drag" then use the heavier stuff,......when it's really blowing though and you're drifitng too fast,...a drift sock is a MUST out there!
You can get away with a lighter jig if you slow your drift down with a sock.....they're worth their weight in gold!!
But as far as tube jigs go,...get a good assortment of weights with either a 2/0, 3/0, or 4/0 hook...preferably with Mustad Ultra Point hooks.

Buy a small Plano 360 box and keep all of your tube jigs, rattles and other essentials all in the same box....keep it simple!

Seeya on the water!!
Mac

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thanks a lot if anyone else would like to give me any tips about fishing lake st. clair like what lures to use, how to use them and when that would be great

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do you think is the highest quality tube? I bought some isg dream tubes at basspro the other week and they only had a few colors. Does precision lures have a web site?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Precision Plastics is based out of Strawberry, Arkansas. Al Polsten is the owner, and he's one of the funniest human beings on this planet!! I haven't laughed as hard in my life as the day I spent on St. Clair with him and Gary Shubert, about 3 yrs ago
,..my guts hurt for days!!! Anyway,...Precision makes all of BPS's Magnum Flippin' tubes, Tender tubes and most of their other soft plastics. Precision also makes all of the tubes sold under the "Shubert's and Rite Bite labels".
I don't know who makes ISG tubes but they are deffinetely a good brand and they work!!! In general, a good tube is dipped twice and sometimes 3 or 4 times, making them thicker and bulkier and giving them the "laminated" or multi colored "layerd" look. It should also include LOTS of salt, and all of the Precision made tubes have salt molded right into the plastic...and NOT merely added to the bag during packaging. If you squeeze and roll a Precision made tube in your fingers,..the salt will literally squeeze out of the plastic,...this makes them taste saltier to a fish and they will hold on to them longer....tubes that are not made this way will be spit out by a fish much faster,..causing missed fish!! I'm sure ISG tubes are made this way also or Smallmouth Guru's like Steve Clapper wouldn't use them. much less endorse them!! As far as pricing goes,..nobody can beat the 50 and 100ct prices that BPS offers for the Magnum Flippin' Tubes. BPS buys in such massive quantities that they can sell 50 and 100ct bags at retail prices or less for what a lot of tackle stores pay "wholesale" for the same tubes!...You should always support your local mom and pop places as much as possible,..especially when a trip to BPS isn't convenient......but if you use a LOT of tubes and you want to save money by buying in bulk qty's.....BPS is the place to go!! Seeya on the water!!
Mac

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, I thought precision lures made the bass pro tubes. I belive cruncherbaits also have there salt molded into them. The isg are dipped 4 times with salt and garlic added to them. Another nice thing is the skirt is 2 inches and the tube is 2 inches. In the picture the basspro magnum flippin tubes have a skirt 1/3 of the legnth. I just wish that ISG makes a 5 inch model. I catch alot of big fish on the real big tubes.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
For a good selection of 5" tubes and custom colors including laminates designed especially for Lake St. Clair, check out Xtreme Bass Tackle. The new 5" Emerald Shiner Hologram and St. Clair Goby laminate tubes will be putting a lot of bass in the boat this year.

Stop by the booth at the Grand Rapids fishing show starting tomorrow through Sunday. We'll be doing some seminars about St. Clair smallies at the show too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Whatever tube you decide to go with go with the one that you have confidence in. And stick with that tube you believe in or you will have a five-gallon bucket full of old tubs that you will donate to kids for fishing. I have found I.S.G. to be mine after I filled that 5 gal. Bucket up. You can find colors on there web site at
www.isgfishing.com If you need more help contact me at www.erieanglers.com
I can assist you with large orders.
Good Luck
Mike Chamberlin
I.S.G. Pro Staff

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
hey guys, I've got one to add to this topic, I'm relatively new to fishing, and because I'm always at the mercy of whoever wants to take me out on a boat, I usually fish off shore. Tubes have been great for me in the past but I have a hard time figuring out what colors to try. A good color one day, sometimes turns worthless several days later. Is there any basic guidelines to start with as far as light, water clarity, time of day or year?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Color is not that important in my opinion. The action and the size will be more important. A good way to pick a color is to look at what you are trying to imitate(crawfish, minnow,goby....). If I only had to pick two colors, I would pick a green pkn or something else dark and then a pearl. That would let me imitate alomost anything depending on how you rig them. Just use what you have confidence in and have caught fish on before. In general color will not have that much of an effect.

hope this helps, Matt

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Three basic colors will catch fish most of the time on Clair. Green (goby), Brown (crawfish) and White (minnows), with different shades and flake combinations. The actual colors that will produce are too numerous to mention.

Unfortunately the color can change by not only the day, but the hour and the minute! I wish I could give you a more definate answer, but thats why its called fishing, not catching!

As a general rule use lighter baits in clear water with sunny skies and change to darker baits when fishing at night and during lowlight/overcast conditions in dirtier water. Basically it boils down to the best advice I can give about what works....let the fish tell you! Experiment, change colors, sizes and presentations until you find the combination that the fish are looking for......then HOLD ON!

Mini

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.