Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished 4pm-8pm. 17 bass, 2 rocks. Had a lot of missed fish including one 30+inch pike. would have liked to catch that one. oh well. All fish caught on jerk baits except one smallie on a drop shot with a Berkley gulp minnow. biggest of the day in the pic. pushing 6lbs. 3rd fish close to 6 for the season
. also made a donation to the lake. lost a baitcaster that was dragging a tube. we were playing a fish when it got stuck on something(or a fish) pulled it over. luckly it wasnt my abu garcia reel

also question. i was wondering about using the leader in the pic for my jerk baits for bass. ive had about 4 muskie/pike hits this year on them with them all breaking my line. but i was wondering if the bass would see it and be less likly to strike. the material is braided musky trolling line. chose it over metal. but not sure if it would work. thinking about using heavy mono leaders but havnt got around to making one.

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Great looking fish!

As for the leader, why not use flourocarbon? Personally, I don't use a leader, but I do use Fireline crystal for bass fishing. It's really hard to break, even in a 4 or 6lb size, and it'll handle that occasional pike or musky, most of the time. Of course, if you're targeting musky, that's another story.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks it was a beautiful fish!

but as for the line... the break offs have been on 8lb fireline. i feel a huge hit then nothing... snapped off. no chance. so im gonna give that leader a go. if it messes up the strikes im gonna switch to a heavy mono leader to try to improve the pike muskie catch rate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE(jighead2 @ Jun 17 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks it was a beautiful fish!

but as for the line... the break offs have been on 8lb fireline. i feel a huge hit then nothing... snapped off. no chance. so im gonna give that leader a go. if it messes up the strikes im gonna switch to a heavy mono leader to try to improve the pike muskie catch rate.

Pass on the mono, teeth will cut right through that. Although it is a bit pricy, spend the extra money on a spool of gamma or other flouro leader material in the 30 lb range. Although i have not fished st. clair much this year, it definately made a difference last year as compared to a braided wire leader. Catch rates running the same lures on the same day were close to 2-1 in favor of the flouro.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
You dont need much of a leader casting. A 6" steel leader is fine and will stand up to 99.99% of the teeth. Just like mono or flouro or braid, check it every so often! We must have picked up 50 Bass in a 3 hour span last Sunday, the leader didn't bother them a bit.

It might have a small affect depending on conditions so if you believe the fish are seeing it and not biting, take it off and stick on a heavier piece of flouro for a leader as a test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.