Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Causing a real minor tie up this morning...

ON M-59 and North Avenue!!!!!

Couldn't believe it!!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have seen that hen turkey there 6 or 7 times over the last several weeks. She causes a trafic jam every time she shows up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live a bit farther north off from North Avenue and I see turkeys daily, including a big fat tom. I've never turkey hunted before, but I may start. Are turkey permits hard to get for your own land in Macomb County?

·
Registered
790 Posts
The short answer is no.

The lower half of the Lower Peninsula has been a single hunting unit for the spring hunt for the past couple of years (Unit ZZ Private Land Only). The DNR allotted something like 65000 permits for this past spring's hunt and there were something like 2500 unused permits available at the end of the season. So, as long as it is legal to shoot in the area of Macomb County that you want to hunt and it is private land that you either own or have legal access to, you should have no problem obtaining a permit for the spring hunt. There also has been a limited fall hunt for the last several years and Macomb County is now included in that hunt (Unit Q Private Land Only with 1200 permits available). The application period for the fall hunt this year is July 1st to August 1st. Both toms and hens are fair game for the fall hunt while it is toms (birds with visible beards) only for the spring. If you have never hunted for turkey before I highly suggest that you give it a try. It is one of the most interactive forms of hunting and I can tell you that there is nothing in the woods that can make your heart beat faster than the gobble of a tom headed in your direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts