1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upcoming Tournament TV schedule....

2/7 @ 10:30am on ESPN2 - B.A.S.S. Harris Chain
2/14 @ 10:30am on ESPN2 - B.A.S.S. Smith Lake
2/14 @ 4:00pm on OLN - FLW Atchafalaya Basin (weigh-in)
2/15 @ 1:00pm on OLN - FLW Okeechobee

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just watched the Harris Chain on ESPN....Does anybody get the feeling that all the people associated with BASS don't really care for the way Iaconelli acts??

I had a couple of guys at work watch it with me (who are not into bass fishing) and they asked me what is wrong with that "idiot"?

Does anybody think he is giving the sport a bad name?

These guys at work were really put off by his antics.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't really care for it (the screaming, jumping around, etc), but if it brings more people into the sport, that's cool with me. Don't get me wrong, I get just as excited as the next guy when I catch a fish during a tournament, and find nothing wrong with showing a little emotion afterwards...he just takes it a little too far for my tastes. I did get a laugh though when Jerry McKinnis pointed out after one of Ike's celebrations for catching a "monster" fish that his fish was far from being a "monster"...LOL...

·
Registered
927 Posts
i pulled an Iaconelli last year during the bfl tourney on the grand river. caught nothing all day and in the last 5 minutes i pulled a 2.5lb largie off a big dock.

of course my boater got us back 12 minutes late so it was all for nothing.

but the people in the yachts crusing spring lake got a show.

madman himself

·
Registered
795 Posts
But did you really listen carefully about what some of the other anglers said. For instance the winner of the tournament, Marty Stone. Marty said that Mike Ike. is good for the sport of fishing. I thing we are up against a paradime as to how we thing anglers should act while catching and landing fish. Mike has an intense personallity.

This sport has needed a change for years, hopefully Mike will be able to deliver
on some of his promises. I think that ESPN is totally happy with having Mike Ike doing what he does best.

And how many times have we all thought we had a "good one" on only to find out that it was just another run of the mill 2.5 lber.

What gets me is, we need to take a look at ourselves as to the way that we conduct ourselves on the water. I can't tell you how many times that my son and I are out on LSC, and you could hear from a great distance other anglers cussing and swearing. Do we really need to talk like this? Lets not worry about a few fist pumps fella's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Joe,

Did you see the show yesterday? I was the first one to defend Iaconelli after guys were beatin' him up for his antics in the Classic. After all, it is the most prestigious bass tournament in the world. Who can really fault a guy for carrying on a little bit? But saying that, yesterday's performance was just a little much. He went on and on, screaming at the top of his lungs...in a residential area to boot. I'm sure the people watching him in that canal got a chuckle out of it, but I'm just as sure they had to think he was an idiot. They see their kids bring in a five or six pound bass regularly and here's this PRO shreiking over and over again over a two pound bass (maybe three). The impression he left with the residents there cannot be good. He is representing bass tournament anglers and should learn to control himself. We have enough PR problems.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I've got mixed feelings about this. I enjoy his and others enthusiasm and show of emotions during a tournament. It makes for better TV. Which will attract more viewers, sponsers, and ultimately prize money. It fun to see these guys go through the same things you do on the water. I've yelled in screamed over a landed toad as well as curled in the fetal position over a lost winner. Having robots out there catching fish is not riveting TV.

But to be honest I didn't understand why he was getting so worked up during that particular tournament. It almost seemed like he was trying to uphold an image for the cameras. He only had 8lbs the final day, when they top 6 were bring in 12-19lbs a day. Did he really think he was going to win when there were monster females being brought to the scales? If I would have been in his shoes, I would have been extremely nervous that I did not have enough. Not pumping my fists like victory was assuredly mine. Maybe I'm wrong and he was truely that emotional & confident his fish would win the the tournament. I just hope he doesn't burn himself out trying to propel and image or when hard times strike, because his enthuasism is good for the sport. It just seemed a little strange to me during this tournament.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yes I say yesterday's show.
I'm not saying that I totally agree with some of the things that Mike does, at times its a bit much, and I hope that he's not tring to uphold some type of image.
I do know him personally though. I just don't want people to think that he's like that on land too. He truly is a really genuine person, plus he's Italian and
I have to watch his back. lol

Good thing you guys haven't ever scene me bowl during league play and tournaments. At times I can get pretty pumped up too. I guess I enjoy the Pete Weber's and Mike Ike's of the world.

So what do you guys think about professional anglers with ear piercings? lol

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I saw that show too and the first thing I thought was,.."What a #@@!# idiot!!"...LOL There's nothing wrong with showing a LITTLE excitement when catching a fish that might get you a win,...but going absolutley nuts and screaming and yelling and carrying on like that is a little assinine in my opinion......he's supposed to be a "professional" and acting like one when the camera's are on you should be a requirement.
Say what you will,..but I think that kind of behavior will turn more people off to the sport than draw them to it.....the day I see KVD, Rick Clunn, Jay Yelas, or any other of the seasoned Professionals do that,..then I'll know it's the cool thing to do (trust me,..that ain't gonna happen!!
)....until then...it's just Iacconelli acting like an idiot. I also think a few of his sponsors will eventually ask him to tone it down a bit too...I agree with Cameraguy,..our sport has image problems enough as it is....'nuff said!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
*It is an ESPN conspiracy!
Watch as BASS slowly deteriorates.
First anglers saying they listen to Hip Hop.
Then break dancing on the deck.
Then Bling Bling on the anglers.
Then screaming and yelling like a crazy animal, NFL style (like you scored a touchdown), every time you catch a fish.

Soon each angler will have their own catch dance.

I am waiting to see an angler smack his co-angler on the butt after a good catch.

Isn't anything sacred anymore.
I guess I am just getting old.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Mac @ Feb 8 2004, 06:19 PM)...the day I see KVD, Rick Clunn, Jay Yelas, or any other of the seasoned Professionals do that,..
Well, as much as I have to give credit to these guys for what they've done for the sport. Keep in mind, it's still not exactly considered a highly viewed sport. Maybe their missing something that can attract a bigger audience. Maybe a guy like Mike will attract more viewers.

Remember when Terrell Owens pulled out the Sharpie on National TV? I would care to bet 99% of us thought, "what a @#$*&%!". But do you not think the NFL ratings increased because of it?

Again, I don't neccessarily condon his actions at the Harris Chain. I thought it was a bit much given the circumstances. But who are we to say this isn't what the sport needs? The Icky Shuffle worked for the NFL...

·
Registered
357 Posts
A couple years ago the pro bowlers association "relaxed" the atmosphere on the TV finals trying to draw a larger audience. They encouraged the finalist to act a little loud and crazy for the camera. Like Mike I. a few guys went a little over the top and turned people off making the rating fall off even further.

While I appreciate Mike's enthusiasm for our sport I thinks he's going a little over the top. I'm concerned that he's starting a pattern that other's may start to imitate. We don't need a reputation of a bunch of crazy yelling bass fishing hicks.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I guess we'll just have to wait and see,...but I've heard a lot more people say it's annoying and unneccessary than vice versa.....tellya what though,.....next time I see that dude catch a fish on TV,..I'm gona dive head first for the mute button on the remote.

BTW-...one of the reason's bass fishing is so different from any of the other sports is the fact that up until now,..the best of the best DIDN'T do that stuff on TV,...they didn't act like the
"Icky's" and the "Terrels" out there, which was a nice change....but I gotta admit,....the thought of Woo Daves moonwalking to the livewell is kinda funny!!

Rock on everybody,...and Ike,..."SHUT THE @!#%[email protected]# UP!!!!"...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
So what,.
.......doesn't mean I have to agree with his "antics".....Just because someone drives the same boat,..doesn't mean they have to have the same "opinions"....it would be pretty naive to think that just because somebody has the same BOAT,...that they BETTER like S&T or else!!!!....LOL......relax 'Trap....I know he's your buddy,....but the first time I fish with you and you do thaqt screamin' and carryin' on when you jerk a 2lbr in the boat,....you're going to get a 7ft stick upside your head!!! LMAO!!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Mac @ Feb 9 2004, 07:31 AM)BTW-...one of the reason's bass fishing is so different from any of the other sports is the fact that up until now,..the best of the best DIDN'T do that stuff....
We're just one good scandal away from being mainstream!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
LOL!!!......maybe we can get someone to have a "clothing malfunction" on stage!!

"Hey Janet,.....wana go fishin'??"

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mac,
It wasn't bad enough that you had to rip on my boy Ike on this page, you had to do it over in Nitro Boat Web land too?

I sure wouldn't say anything in WEBLAND that I wouldn't say to someones face.................Sorry but your my mentor.

BTW I just spoke with Mike, he wants to meet you when he comes back to Michigan next summer. He has heard nothing but great things about you.
He said he would love wear one of your Scales-N-Tales patches on his back pocket, so that when he dances your scales and tales creatures will look like they were caught in tornado on crack.

Crack . . . you crack me up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts