Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Didn't get picked in the draw so bought permits for the open hunt (May 3-31). Can't really get much time off from the new job and can't get away the first weekend. My son and I will be up sitting in the big pines along the edge of a clearing on May 15 & 16 and 22 & 23. Hope we can still call a couple in. One thing we have going for us, we know where they're roosting. Gary, here's hoping you bag a long bearded Tom, and don't forget to post some pictures.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(PWood @ Apr 10 2004, 05:04 AM)Didn't get picked in the draw so bought permits for the open hunt (May 3-31). Can't really get much time off from the new job and can't get away the first weekend. My son and I will be up sitting in the big pines along the edge of a clearing on May 15 & 16 and 22 & 23. Hope we can still call a couple in. One thing we have going for us, we know where they're roosting. Gary, here's hoping you bag a long bearded Tom, and don't forget to post some pictures.
Pwood

Very optimistic about this year...

Seeng birds everwhere when on the road!

If the weather cooperates it will be an excellent turkey season.

God luck with your season also, and hey, glad you are spending it with your son, those are good memories for your son!

And remember to post some pics yourself!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I hunted the ZZ area which was the last 2 weeks of April. My group was 3 for 3. We hunted the weekends only. I killed a tom that I estimate well over 20 lbs (I did not weigh it before I cleaned it, but, cleaned it is a little over 18 lbs.) and it had an 11.5 inch beard and about 1 inch spurs. The other 2 birds that were killed by a couple of buddies were both jakes with about 4-5 inch beards. One was the first ever by one. 2 were killed with Remington 870's with Remington Hevi-shot #5 and the other by a Remington 1100 with a #5 Nitro round.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts