Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good small-mouth/large mouth lake up in the U.P that's no more than two hours past the bridge? I have been to Clark Lake in Watersmeet a few years ago (that was an awesome experience), which is like a 10hr drive and was looking for something not as far.....I;m looking for a canoeable lake and something with campgrounds on it..preferably rustic ones....If anyone has anything to recommend or have been to one I;d greatly appreciate it!! Since I;m unemployed, my wife's only letting me go on 1 camping/fishing trip this year...so I gotta make it a good one!!

Think Spring!!!!

Matt

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
South Manistique Lake in Curtis has some nice smallies & it has a rustic campground on the west side of the lake. Curtis is about an hour from the bridge depending on how you drive. Curtis is a great little town. I'll be taking my son up there this summer for some fishing if Aunt Jenny doesn't stick it to me too bad.

BTW, I was told by someone the other day that I don't give back to this site so I guess my posts like this one doesn't count.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pete's Lake, It is a State Park, so you need a Daily or Yearly sticker. On Federal Forest Highway 13, About 17 miles north of U.S. 2, Both Large and Small mouth bass, Pike, Walleye, Pan Fish, Perch and Rustic camping on the water (near the water not in it).

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Never been, but my friend would definitely agree with Zib and Czar about South Manistique. He's had some 50+ fish days up there and has a caught a few 4-5lbers.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Feb 27 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>South Manistique Lake in Curtis has some nice smallies & it has a rustic campground on the west side of the lake. Curtis is about an hour from the bridge depending on how you drive. Curtis is a great little town. I'll be taking my son up there this summer for some fishing if Aunt Jenny doesn't stick it to me too bad.

BTW, I was told by someone the other day that I don't give back to this site so I guess my posts like this one doesn't count.

I disagree with whoever said that about you. I don't know you, but I do see quite a few reports and/or comments on this report forum since I joined in. Keep up the good job! Even if you do not give reports, and just make some sort of intelligent comments, I think you are "giving back" on the forum.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(iggy @ Feb 28 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Feb 27 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>South Manistique Lake in Curtis has some nice smallies & it has a rustic campground on the west side of the lake. Curtis is about an hour from the bridge depending on how you drive. Curtis is a great little town. I'll be taking my son up there this summer for some fishing if Aunt Jenny doesn't stick it to me too bad.

I disagree with whoever said that about you. I don't know you, but I do see quite a few reports and/or comments on this report forum since I joined in. Keep up the good job! Even if you do not give reports, and just make some sort of intelligent comments, I think you are "giving back" on the forum.

Thanks Iggy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
This is a little past your limit, about an hour past Marquette. Craig Lake State Park 6 miles up into the wilderness on an old logging trail. Don't bother with Craig Lake but portage to Clair lake for some fantastic Smallmouth and Musky action or Crooked Lake for some great Largemouth, Smallmouth and some big Pike action. These are wilderness lakes no motors allowed and no live bait. It has special regs to.
We caught two 6+ lbrs on same day over on Clair and 30-50 fish days are common. I went every year for about 15 years till I wanted a bed instead of a sleeping bag on the ground for a week. It's tough to get to and you have to potage everything in but worth the work once you get there.
If you want more info on the lakes and where to fish and what to use PM me.
Jp

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(givemethe @ Feb 28 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whats with grown men needing permission to do sh*t?

There's difference between grown men & married men.
Add young kids in & you got a whole different scenario.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drive to Watersmeet !! It's well worth the trip. I live in central Ohio and try to make it to Clark lake every couple of years. Went last year at the beginning of July. Weather was terrible but still killed the smallmouth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions....After talking with my fishin associate I think we might end up just going back to Clark...its been a good five years since the last time so....just gotta get it OKed by the boss A.K.A- Da wife

1 - 16 of 16 Posts