Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my fluids the other day and noticed the fluid in my power trim pump resevoir was milky. From what little I know about oil, I'm pretty sure that means i'm getting water in it somehow?

These are my stats:

Alpha one outdrive (1996)
Stern drive oil resevoir still shows good green lube and was 1/8" below the fill line.

Where do I start diagnosing this issue? Should I start simply by pumping out as much of that fluid or am I just covering the hole in the wall with a band aid? I don't want this to get worse. Everything seems like it's running fine, expect the other day it seemed like my pump would trim all the way up (first and only time it's ever happened). After trimming down then back up it went fine. Just wierd and may be linked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 21 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was checking my fluids the other day and noticed the fluid in my power trim pump resevoir was milky. From what little I know about oil, I'm pretty sure that means i'm getting water in it somehow?

These are my stats:

Stern drive oil resevoir still shows good green lube and was 1/8" below the fill line.

Where do I start diagnosing this issue? Should I start simply by pumping out as much of that fluid or am I just covering the hole in the wall with a band aid? I don't want this to get worse. Everything seems like it's running fine, expect the other day it seemed like my pump would trim all the way up (first and only time it's ever happened). After trimming down then back up it went fine. Just wierd and may be linked.

With the outdrive all the way down..almost all the fluid will be in the resevoir,so you can suck it out and replace with 20w oil.Check your lines leading to your cylinders..check all lines outside the boat..Hope you find the leak,that resevoir and pump go for about $300. to replace

·
Registered
22,944 Posts
Seems like you'd have to flush everything with fresh oil (by cracking open lines) a few times to get all the water out. Messy, but not hard.

But, finding the leak is the challenge. Guess I'd start by operating it up and down a few times, and see if you can detect oil anywhere. Inspect the flex lines and rams. It would seem you are looking at either need new lines, or rebuilding or replacing your rams.

Pretty sure yours self-bleeds. So at least you don't have to deal with bleeding air out.

Sorry, don't know the official procedures. Get a manual and/or Google it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 21 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was checking my fluids the other day and noticed the fluid in my power trim pump resevoir was milky. From what little I know about oil, I'm pretty sure that means i'm getting water in it somehow?

These are my stats:

Had the same problem a couple years ago. Check the lines from the pump to the cylinders first. then run the drive up and down and check for oil coming out of the seal where the rams travel into the cylinders. I ended up rebuilding the cylinders; new seals, o-rings, etc. That took care of the problem. It wasn't a big deal to fix.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hope you get it fixed, Jon. Sounds like you're checking all the right things.
BTW, do you use outdrive support braces when you do those long trailer runs? I'm talking about the plastic pieces that "clip" onto the exposed piston rod of the rams. I've been using them for about ten years - mostly for the long hauls (100+ miles), usually don't bother when its 5-10 miles to the ramp (but I only do a few of those a year). They are supposed to take the stress of bouncing along down the road off the piston, the rod and most importantly - the seals. I seem to remember they where fairly inexpensive ($15-$20) Just my $0.02.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.