Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out on Sunday.

24ft. Bayliner Cuddy pulls into the launch across from Eddies Drive in.

I swear to you no less than 40 people were trying to get in to this boat! Most of them were kids. The boat went out for about 10 minutes, came back to the dock only to meet 5 Border partol cars, and a Sheriff Marine Patrol Boat which I called.

3 adults on board with 21 (yeah that's right) 21 children less than 12 years old. Vessel only had 5 PFD'S. C'mon now how stupid can these people be? I don't usually complain, but geez! Hate to hear the call that a boat is going down, and there are 19 people in the water without vests! If you see something as rediculous as this call the Sheriff on your cell phone and take care of it, before somebody dies! Thanks for letting me rant a bit!

Later!

G

·
I expect there are a lot of people who wouldn't want to get involved and bust on someone like that, but you possibly saved what could have been a tragic situation. A way overloaded boat out on a Sunday is a recipe for disaster. A couple of big cruiser wakes, an overloaded, unstable boat, and an inexperienced operator (face it - experience and common sense would tell anyone that is unsafe, especially without PFD's), and we'd be reading about it in the paper today.

Good job out there...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Enough people die on our lake every year! I really wasn't looking to bust them, or be a jerk, but it was just too much for me to take! Hopefully someone will read this and think twice about what they are about to do! I'm not a big fan of the Sheriff, but they do help when needed!

G

·
This story sounds like the stuff we see on Jobbienooner day!

Good job though. Can't say I blame you for calling on them. Bill is right, we would have been reading about that one in the Macomg Dailey today, gaurenteed!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Kudos to you, I am glad you made the call. I really don't like to hear of the senseless tradgedies we have out on the lake, this is actually a good story.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Holy [email protected]
, I have a 24' boat and even though it has a maximum of 10 occupents I have never had more than 7 people on it and I felt that was too many.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
You totaly made the right call. What kind of loser would put 24 people in a 24' bayliner......talk about dumb!

·
Registered
387 Posts
For simple morals alone, you made the right call.

If that's not good enough for some selfless people, tell them that every time one of these boats go down, our boating surance premiums go up 15%.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to hear you called the cops on those dummies. We were out on Sunday for about 20min and came back in toooo rough for our 20ft.

Talk about dumb people we were in the channel comming in and two smaller boats then ours cut right in front of us and kept on going across the channel. Is that something I could call the sherif about??? Sorry if my terminology is off I am new to boating, but willing to learn.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Great call, they were looking for disaster, especially in rough waters this weekend. I wonder who called border patrol, because that's way too funny! Hopefuly, these guys will be paying some hefty fines and learn their lesson. So many kids... Thats just not right. As a rule I will never have more than two children aboard, just waaay to much to look out for with kids on board, which leaves less attention for navigating and handling the ways.

European, you also made a very good point. There hasn't been one time where someone in the clinton river channel over by Harley Ensign has'nt done anything stupid. They simply don't understand how dangerous it is to cross two lanes of incoming and outgoing traffic, especially where many people are coming on or off the plane over by the last sat of buoys. Way, way too hazardous, and they seem not to care. I haven't heard the sheriff hollaring at anybody lately. They really should as that spot is completely out of control. Few weekends ago, someone decided to troll a set of big planar boards right through the channel and stop halfway to fix their tackle or whatnot right between the last sat of buoys. As i was accelerating to come out of the channel, and getting ready to get on the plane, i couldn't see their planar boards at all. I managed to throw it in reverse, and barely touch their boards.

This weekend, some indian gentelman managed to drown his trailer at harley ensign. did anyone see that? I mean... how do you lose an empty trailer? Okay, so if the bar snaps, there are also chains holding it? Did anyone see it and know what happened? I believe it was this saturday.

P.S. European, are you really from europe? If so, how well does your skin handle st clair sun? I am from europe myself, and I am forced to boat with long sleeved shirts and hats and highest spf sunblock i can find. Otherwise i end up looking like a tomatoe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beermaster; Sorry I am not from Europe, that is part of my business name "European Skin Care & Massage by Liza". I was born and rasied here in Michigan but I am part Swedish so I have fair skin and blonde hair. I too go boating with 50 block spf and long sleeve shirts and hats. Oh well not much we can do but try to enjoy the short Michigan summer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Only one choice to make. A 24 ft. boat with 21 children under 12. Nuff said! The alternative is too much to think about.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Good call. As an ex-Coastee (USCG) I would of probably ripped a few week straps (oops) off the few pfd,s he had during a boarding and made the fine a little bigger. I never knew what the fines were as they are determined at the Group level in District offices. With a case like that we would have wrote up everything wrong we found, dont get me wrong while we did boardings we overlooked some minor problems if I was talking to a person we believed were responsible and they were going to correct the problem, I felt I always treated people how I would want to be treated. This guy should get everything thrown at him that he deserves.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Good call ! Happy you were alert, and did that.
I concur what all others have said.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
You did the right thing. Don't need to read about idiots like that in tomorrow paper after they sink.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts